Tuesday, February 07, 2023

The Gift -- a Write for dVerse Poetics

Two of my toys, Tractor was Dad's untill he died,
Pig was to me from our Vet when I was a small boy

 


        My Gift, A Pig

'Twas vaccination on the farm that day  
Vaccinate the pigs against diseases 
Those diseases that pigs might get 

In my farm boy time it was cholera 
for sure that and some others I know not 
Dad did a lot--vaccinate no 

Doctor Scott did that for us while we helped 
Dad or I would hold the pig to the ground 
Doctor Scott injected the meds 

I'd known Doctor Scott most of my five years 
He was the "The Vet" I have known all my life 
That day he had me a present 

It was heavy, heavier than a dish 
about four inches long and never broke 
Brown relaxing on its knees 

We were poor I didn't have many toys  
Honored place on my shelf is well deserved 
Had you pig now for my long years 

Doctor Scott, I thank you this one more time 
Now you doctor for angels' pets 
 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2010 and 2023 Respectfully, All Rights Reservered 
 - I am linked with Ingrid at dVerse Poetics for prompt providing along the lines of a gift to us at 
 - Click here to see the background of these toys and more. 
 - And click hereclick here to read the gifts others are writing of.  
..

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 07, 2023 8:37:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

People like him are gifts in one's life. They do so much good. It sounds like he is a heavenly doctor now. Nice tribute, Jim.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2023 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

How wonderful that you kept the pig, the tractor, and all of these treasured memories! Thank you for sharing.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2023 3:40:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Although poor, there were many gifts on your farm, Jim: the pigs, vaccinations, the kind vet and of course, the toy pig. How amazing that you still have it.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2023 12:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A special gift from a special person...thanks for sharing your memories of pigs, Jim :) We raised pigs too and have a son who's now a vet.

 
At Wednesday, February 08, 2023 6:43:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Honored place on my shelf is well deserved
Had you pig now for my long years

The good doctor sure knows how to pick a gift that one takes a liking for - and it stays on for many years! Thanks for sharing Dr Jim!

Hank

 

Post a Comment

<< Home