Saturday, February 04, 2023

Bunny - a Prose Poem for the Sunday Muse

Devon Aoki
by Mikael Jansson 

I was calm 
it was calm 

beautiful sunny morning 
eating grass and 
once in a while
scratching my ear 
seems I'd done this 
near every day of my life 

Contentment 
surrounded me 
my mother had 
taught me well
cows and horses 
were my friends 
the pigs leave them alone 
they group together 
have a life of their own 

Dogs 
dogs were different 
to them you are prey 
a real meal treat 
raw and bloody 
unlike the 
two legged folk who 
take you in 
bake your brains 
my mother taught me well 
choose my friends 
with care mind my 
surroundings 

Different 
differently 
this day started  
I stopped munching 
wet grass wouldn't last 
groups of folk 
riding horses 
horses my friends 
but not today 
captive and submissive 
to leather and whips 

And 
the dogs 
pretty ones 
hounds of a kind 
finding a bunny 
bunny rabbit like me 
it was me 
chasing me in circles 
closer and closer 
to tragedy  
I had to run 
to where there 
was no end 

Friend 
my friend 
they'd shot him dead 
laying there in the grass 
I was to be next 
Backyard Bunny Rabbit at Peace 
©Jimmiehov 2016 

Broke 
somehow 
I'd broken away 
out of my circle 
I ran and hopped 
this way gun in hand 
how did that get there 
could I shoot it 
with my small 
paw 

Why 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - Side Photo Copyright, Jimmiehov 2016, All Rights Reserved 
 - Photo with others to choose from Carrie at the Sunday Muse #245 at  
 - Note, 223 words used for this write of a Maximum of 369 allowed, always now
..

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, February 04, 2023 11:50:00 AM, Anonymous Shawna said...

This is so creative. I love the ending:

"could I shoot it
with my small
paw"

 
At Saturday, February 04, 2023 3:54:00 PM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

Nice channeling of the bunny. Probably a good thing the gun won't fit into its little paw.

 
At Saturday, February 04, 2023 9:49:00 PM, Blogger robkistner said...

Enjoyed the fantastical nature of this Jim… 🙂✌🏼

 
At Saturday, February 04, 2023 10:57:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Love the way you present it from the rabbit's perspective. Yes, they have their way of defence which were taught well by the mother. All the while they appear defenceless, not so! Well thought out Dr Jim!

Hank

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2023 5:22:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Luv the quiz mood of your poem. I was trying to guess which animal from each verse until you revealed in the 'bunny' verse.
Happy you dropped by my blog. Good Sunday to you.

Much❤love

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2023 6:48:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

That escalation was a ride.

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2023 11:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Helen ~~~ next time I will pay more attention to your title ~~ bunny was low on my list of possible targets! LOL

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2023 11:43:00 AM, Anonymous AJ said...

Love the imagination used with this one just perfect :)

 
At Monday, February 06, 2023 7:05:00 AM, Anonymous Susan (sillyfrog) said...

Ha Ha! Imagining armed rabbits was a wild concept.

 
At Tuesday, February 07, 2023 6:52:00 AM, Anonymous Jewish Young Professional "JYP" said...

Powerful and sad, especially the ending

 

Post a Comment

<< Home