Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Gone - a write for Friday Writings and for Tuesday dVerse Poetics

  


    Motherless

Don't you remember when 
your mother died 
You'd always had one 
and now she's gone 
Feeling you couldn't stop 
tears in your eyes 
You joined the orphan crowd 
yet you're alone 
Feeling it won't go 'way 
motherless now 

Then suddenly one day  
it goes away 
Whisked don't remember when 
feeling had left 
Gone just gone no more tears 
life has gone on 
 _ _ _ 


Friday, January 13, 2023, and now a bit on my Wheel: 

The wheel repeats itself over and over again. Maybe it's stationary, scenery is same o' same o'.  And then there's the one on the go, a different scene every revolution. Can we choose which we'll be, security or adventure?

My Wheel when I was a boy was a light steel spoke Wheel from a retired critter of burden. I rescued the wheel for my own.

Stationary or on the go?  Well, on the go when I wanted to play.  I goaded it to go with my big stick, steered it too with the stick. 

We went all over the farmstead and out to the mailbox once a day.  The Wheel and my stick had become my favorite outside toy.  Visitors and family would say, "Here comes Jim and his Wheel." 

Then one day, I don't know when or how, like the 'Motherless feeling" in my poem, the Wheel went away, gone, gone from my life.  Mom to Heaven, the Wheel back to the junk pile.  Life goes on. 

Note:  Hoop rolling is still being done, mostly with storebought equipment (Wikipedia).
..
 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - Photo just popped up in my message box late last night from my brother-in-law--it brought that feeling to my mind, sans tears 
 - I am linked with Rommy for Friday Writing #59 at,  
  Rommy has asked us to use the word, Wheels, if we wanted or needed a prompt.  But I am sooo behind that I decided to us this one I had written for Tuesday as I was late there and only had only a few readers and have only two who left comments.  
Then later tonight I added the blurb about my "Wheel toy".
 - I am also first linked with dVerse Poetics hosted for prompting by  at 
 - This was another write made sitting on the edge of my bed in the middle of the night 
 - You can read other's dVerse responses to the prompt here,  at  https://www.blenza.com/linkies/links.php?owner=dversepoets&postid=07Jan2023&meme=12476 
 - You might be inspired to write with us
  .. 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 11, 2023 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Ingrid said...

It takes a long time to reach that point...

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2023 2:23:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

Sometimes we manage to get over a death... especially when someone has already lived a full life.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2023 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I liked reading about both your mother and your wheel – and the fact that life goes on. We don't forget, but we do embrace new adventures.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2023 2:37:00 AM, Blogger vanderloost said...

Time heals

 
At Friday, January 13, 2023 3:12:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

So sad to read 'the wheel went away' and the loss of a mother is enormous I just experienced that last year. Yes live goes on

 
At Friday, January 13, 2023 6:15:00 AM, Anonymous Rajani said...

That's so true.. life goes on, you keep some things that can then pop out some times without hurting, but life goes on...the wheel turns!

 
At Friday, January 13, 2023 11:11:00 AM, Blogger colleen said...

I hope you had a bike next. I often wonder where my old things are now. I am an orphan too.

 
At Saturday, January 14, 2023 1:09:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

I've found that it's not that the grief gets less, but we learn to carry it better

 
At Saturday, January 14, 2023 11:58:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Remembered having done my share of the hoop rolling activity when growing up. We used discarded bicycle wheels minus the spokes. It had elements of competition (raced against each other) outrun each other (exercise) and we can play alone . Thanks for the memories Dr Jim!

Hank

 
At Sunday, January 15, 2023 9:40:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Wonderful poem that many of us have experienced ... the pain of my Mother passing on has passed, but it has been replaced with a gentle fullness of heart that sustains me. I really like your afterword, the image of you, the wheel, and the stick!

 
At Monday, January 16, 2023 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

I didn't cry as much when Mother died as I expected to. She spent the last 15 years or so pushing people away, not letting them depend on her (many wanted to). She enjoyed pretty good health up to age 85, then told a doctor her glyphosate reaction seemed to have become chronic, and learned that it was Stage IV liver cancer. Having nursed a few people with liver cancer, she *wanted* to die of a stroke or pneumonia first; failed to get pneumonia, despite nursing friends through flu, but achieved a fatal stroke before becoming too ill to visit family. So even in tears, my reaction to her departure included "Cheers!"

But she was not a person *anyone* could forget or let go easily. She was a Seventh-Day Adventist H&T (health and temperance) minister. Her youth group adventures, her singing, her cooking classes, her specialty foods she sold to stores and restaurants, and her home health work, will be remembered probably longer than my lifetime. She left her heirs a LOT of work to carry on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home