Thursday, August 30, 2018

a midweek "Going Poem" for you


Do you want to come along

We have this cute little tugboat
Sister and I
Going up and down the canals
That's our new life

Wouldn't you like to come along
Two empty bunks
It doesn't seem so romantic
But wait you'll see

Sister and I and our spouses
Four retired folk
But guests don't stay you'd have to leave 
We share with all

Cook, clean, swab, pull ropes.  Fill the tanks
A hand could stay
 

[Taken at the Little Venice Canal Boat show, 2014, London, U.K.]
 [click to enlarge]
 _ _ _ _

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2018. All Rights Reserved
   (Photo of the Tugboat is by Karin, aka "Outlawyer", click on her name or see her prompt post today at the link below.   There she has it and some of her other pictures also posted.  She reserves all rights but has released use by us for our poems.  I made a PrintScreen copy photo to post here.)
 - I'm linked with Karin in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2018/08/going-going-gone-midweek-prompt.html?m=1
 - Karin was remembering the poems she had memorized when she was young. She then realized that many used the word "going" or another form of "go" in them.
 - This process was the basis for her a  asking us to remember along with her and then to WRITE a poem using "going" fairly near its beginning.   BTW,  I've used the word "going" 17 times on this blog https://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/search?q=going&m=1  One them is titled, "Going, going, gone" as the title of Karin's post with the Toads above.
 - If Nursery Rhymes count I'm sure "This Little Pig . . . " was my first to memorize.

Outside Homps, France, riding a canal boat on the Canal du Midi.
After the boat ride, our busy day would continue.
Old town, Carcassonne, was next on our journey.
[click any picture for a larger sized view]
 

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, August 30, 2018 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

This was one of my iffy bucket list dreams. But I retired too late in life for all the tasks involved. As did my sister. We would have gone up and down the Intercoastal Canal from Florida to Mexico. My other iffy bucket list item is "if" I become a widower I would hire out to cruise ships as The Male Dancing Partner for all the unattached ladies who want to dance with a man. Mrs. Jim doubts I could do this any more with my artificial knee joint and doctor's orders to wear only athletic shoes. I intend to fudge on the shoe requirement.
.

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2018 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Cool fantasy, anyway...

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:14:00 PM, Blogger tonispencer said...

Fun fantasy!

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:26:00 PM, Blogger annell4 said...

Sounds like fun in your little tug!!

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:55:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Haha. Sounds like a great deal of fun. Thanks for the ride. K.

 
At Friday, August 31, 2018 5:29:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

I have been doing this for years, with wife and family and friends, not on a canal but on the River Murray in Australia. One rule is that you must moor at night facing the bank of the river as it is so shallow. Sailing at night is a no no! If you get strnded on a sand bar you have to radio base to get you out. House boats speed is slow! Plenty of wildlife to see.

 
At Friday, August 31, 2018 11:51:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Jim, I enjoyed your comment about this dream as much as the poem. I resonate with the bad knee. Maybe we could dance, if we kept one leg still.

 
At Saturday, September 01, 2018 10:42:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

It sounds wonderful to be able to live a dreams like that. Canals sounds amazing to travel...

 
At Saturday, September 01, 2018 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Canal boats travel the slow way, very nice, fun of sorts. We've been on them in England, France, Russia, Panama, China, and the U.S. The Suez Canal is on my 14th bucket list. (I may have left out a couple, these were at the top of my head.)
..

 
At Saturday, September 01, 2018 5:51:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

http://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/2018/09/i-wont-go-away-stay-here-my-shell-call.html#comment-form

 

Post a Comment

<< Home