Saturday, April 25, 2015

Days of Cherry Pink ― Day 25 of NaPoWriMo 2015

Do you remember the song,  Cherry pink and apple blossom white? (Lyrics)
Here are my memories of the song and my experiences involving it and other Pink's.

My 1955 Ford Crown Victoria (a 1:18 scale toy) *

Days of Cherry Pink

Remember those days, Cherry Pink?
Well, I do.  Those were the 50's
Pre-hippie days when men wore pink

And though their hair was not too long
Ducktails sprouted as did highlights
Elvis on TV was prime time

Light colored pants, blue jeans were white
Matching his and hers, the buttons were
On the left or right, sex would tell

Neckties pink, wish I still had mine
Colored shirts, around here no more
Jackets to match, beige, white or pink

This late teen college drop out
Had three jobs to support his doings
Hot rod Ford attracted the girls

Favorite job, part-time, parking cars
To the top, radio was playing
Cherry pink, apple blossom white

- - -

Photo and Poem copyright © 2015 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved


I am linked with at the Real Toads, Turning Pink 
and with  NaPoWriMo 2015both for Day 25 of National Poem Writing Month

Notes:
1.  Grace reminisced about pink days and cherry pink blossoms and urged us "to write a new poem or prose poem using the word pink in the title or verses."
2.  "... Perez Prado's recording of the song as an instrumental with his orchestra featuring trumpeter Billy Regis, whose trumpet sound would slide down and up before the melody would resume, was the most popular version in 1955, reaching number one for 10 weeks on the Billboard chart. Perez had first covered this title for the movie Underwater! (1955), where Jane Russell can be seen dancing to the song. Billboard ranked this version as the No. 1 song of 1955.[2] The most popular vocal version in the U.S. was by Alan Dale, reaching No. 14 on the chart in 1955."
From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Pink_(and_Apple_Blossom_White)

* 3. None of the nearly 30 cars I have owned was a 1955.  My grandfather promised me his when he died but that wasn't in his will so, no 1955 Ford was in my life.
 - My first car was a 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe (five passenger), the second was a 1952 Ford which I turned into a very fast Hot Rod that would beat the Chevy V8's.  
 - Third was a 1956 Ford Convertible which I bought new.  When I got drafted into the Army I had to trade it for my fourth car, a 1950 Jimmy Dean Mercury Coupe (five passenger).  My car payments were more than my total Army pay which included allotments for a wife and two kids.
 - My scale model car collection is 30+.  Besides the '55 Ford in the picture, from left to right, is a 1948 Ford Convertible, a late model Golf Car, a 1936 Ford Convertible, and a 1930's vintage gas Texaco gas pump.  Most of them are 30's, 40's, and 50's 1:18 scale models now, and are Fords like all the cars I have owned in my life.



Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, April 25, 2015 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh how I love the notion of going back to the old days when everything was so simple..!
Loved this poem..! So full of nostalgia..! :D
xoxo

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2015 11:32:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Ha.. yes why couldn't men wear pink.. I have a couple of shirts in pink actually.

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2015 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

So do I, Bjorn. One is a golf shirt, given to me by my DIL. She calls it "watermelon".
..

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2015 2:50:00 PM, Blogger Gail said...

I was born in '54 but we are always behind the times here. I remember.

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2015 3:53:00 PM, Blogger Amy Barlow Liberatore/Sharp Little Pencil said...

Jim, such fun! Was ready for all "pink lipstick" and "pink clouds" and "pink babies," and here you roll in with your BOSS car!! If only I owned this car, I would...probably give it to you, since you love it so. Thanks for the nostalgia, for the Cherry Pink lyrics. Fun. Oh, and my husband wears pink because his sister's wife is a breast cancer survivor. I dyed him a shirt using raspberry tea! Amy

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2015 6:08:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh yes, how I remember that sweet song! And many of your other reminiscences of those days rings bells with me too. It wasn't so very different over here in Australia. The ducktail haircuts on the young men, the pink shirts... I was 15 (the perfect age for it) when Elvis hit our airwaves, closely following the movie Rock Around the Clock, both of them scandalising parents. Ahhh! For me Elvis will always be king. You might like this old poem of mine: http://passionatecrone.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/generational-adolescence.html

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2015 6:22:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

~~ carry me back, oh carry me back!

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:04:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

How nostalgic Jim ~ I do admire men wearing pink in shirts but I don't know about jackets, smiles ~ That is a sweet song ~ Thanks for the happy memories of those golden days and here's wishing you happy weekend ~

 
At Sunday, April 26, 2015 3:18:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

My father in law--dying recently at 103--wore pink shirts all the time! Much enjoyed. K.

 
At Monday, April 27, 2015 9:50:00 AM, Blogger Kathie Brown said...

Jim, I had never heard that song, but as a romantic woman and poet, I like it! Your poem is a very clever take on the whole thing and it is nice to see you writing again! I am glad you have such happy memories of that time and place!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home