Saturday, September 14, 2019

A short Poem for the Weekend prompt, Groovy

I was running;
trying to dodge

I was running my paper route
trying to dodge water puddles
If one hit I'd cringe and then try
to do better the next few times

Sis couldn't come with this morning
little bug bit her ear she cried
She wasn't tough like a fellow
my kind--girls are made syrupy 

Syrupy I don't mind one bit
'cause I do like their company
Together we drive down the road
throwing papers 'feeling groovy'  
.


Simon & Garfunkel - The 59th Street Bridge Song (1967) (Feelin' Groovy).wmv  

"The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)"

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feelin' groovy

Hello, lamppost, what'cha knowin'?
I've come to watch your flowers growin'
Ain't'cha got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in doo-doo, feelin' groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feelin' groovy

I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
Life, I love you
All is groovy 
_ _ _

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
 - I'm linked with Marian in the Imaginary Garden, she authored the One Word Prompt, "Groovy", at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/09/just-one-word-groovy.html
 - And with Sherry Blue Sky in the Poetry Pantry at http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/09/poetry-pantry-493.html?m=1
 - I wonder how many remember this song?  I do.  But then ...

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:27:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

So great, Jim. I wrote about this song, too... of course.
Hey I had a paper route as a teenager as well. Those were some great quiet/alone moments for thinking and dreaming.

 
At Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Yes, I remember feeling groovy Jim but that was long time ago but at least we can write about it!

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 9:45:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

This is about the only time I have heard the word groovy

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the exuberance of the paper boy. Feeling groovy indeed.

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 11:54:00 AM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I, for one, am glad that "groovy" is no longer part of everyday speech. However, Simon and Garfunkel's "59th Street Bridge Song" just wouldn't work without the word!

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:36:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I love this light-hearted poem!

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:47:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is such a delightful read, Jim!❤️

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:52:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Great poem, Jim! I remember saying it.

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:09:00 PM, Blogger Truedessa said...

Ha - I have that song on auto-play in my head now.

 
At Sunday, September 15, 2019 8:24:00 PM, Blogger H. Hennenburg said...

Thanks for the light-hearted ride!

 
At Monday, September 16, 2019 2:51:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

Ah, I'd happily trade some of my grown-up concerns for little kid problems like bug bites and dodging puddles.

 
At Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:44:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Of course I remember this. I have the album too.

 
At Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:49:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Great descriptions... syrupy and dappled and drowsy! Enjoyed this .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home