Wednesday, September 04, 2019

A Poem for International Literacy Day


International Literacy Day is 8 September 8th.  Media: Djibril Kebe, UNESCO Media Section, d.kebe@unesco.org

Do you remember when
when you learned to read
Do you remember when
when did you have
a book of your own
or was it one
that Grandma owned
What were the tools for that
helped you to learn

Try to remember when
When how and what
Tell me yours and
I'll tell you mine

Somewhere in my line of books
came Three Billy Goats Gruff
my mother would
read it to me
My favorite part
was when The Troll
would boldly come out
from under the bridge
Scared the pants off
the boys and the girls 
But not our Goat 

After that part reading
might would end
Sleep play or do chores
would be next

I know there were others before
or to come after like your true love
Love those books I did
though fickle some--Shirley Temple
reigned supreme for a year or two
(I kept my Shirely Temple scrapbook)

Somewhere in line came school
Try to remember yours
I dont remember my first day 
Nor do I remember learning ABC's
Mom probably taught at home, I hope

Next in my memory line was learn
to read about Dick and Jane

"Dick 
See Dick 
See Dick run 
...
See Dick and Jane run"

Followed by Sambo Geography History
Literature Math Biology Chemistry
Algebra thru and beyond Calculus
and a whole lot more
I had gotten too tired to tell 
we all are bored with even these

In high school I would go to
the Library in Study Hall time
There inside my text was
my Zane Grey paperback novel

Got yours all thought up now?
It's your time to tell

International Literacy Day
is this Sunday
Say a prayer
We should think of and for them
those learning to read or
those who should be but can't 
Perhaps though late they will

UNESCO is leading the way
our local libraries follow 
Visit soon 
Check out a book or two 

Donations appreciated as well
_ _ _

- Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
- I'm linked with Susan who is leading Poets United Midweek Motiff --Literacy at http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/09/poets-united-midweek-motif-literacy.html?m=1
 - GO there. READ about Literacy Day and find other poems to read at the link above.  TELL ME in my comments here and OTHERS where you TELL.
 - I am also linked with Sherry Blue Sky who is hosting this week's Poetry Pantry with Poets United at http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/09/poetry-pantry-492.html?m=1

 - "Three Billy Goats Gruff" is a Norwegian fairy tale collected by Peter Christen Asbjørnsen and Jørgen Moe in their Norske Folkeeventyr, first published between 1841 and 1844. It has an "eat-me-when-I'm-fatter" plot.Wikipedia
.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 04, 2019 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

O, I remember the Billy Goats Gruff AND Zane Grey AND Shirley Temple AND Dick and Jane. I enjoyed your saga. I had nursery rhymes from pre-reading, I think, and also Peter Rabbit stories read aloud by my Mom and Dad--and of course The Little Engine that Could.

 
At Wednesday, September 04, 2019 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you for reading, Susan. And for your nice comment. And for hosting the prompt.
I don't remember "The Little Engine" even though it was published in 1930. But then we never bad TV until I left home. I did know the Nursery Rymes, still do most of them. 
..

 
At Wednesday, September 04, 2019 1:25:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I remember those goats and the troll - and Dick and Jane. And I adored Shirley Temple! I dont remember being read to, though my grandma did tell me stories. When I was five I walked, by myself, six blocks to the library - what a wealth of books I brought home. I have done so every week since, all these years. LOL. Treasure!

 
At Wednesday, September 04, 2019 5:56:00 PM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Literate people have such fun with words--and worlds--don't they?

 
At Wednesday, September 04, 2019 7:41:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Curiously remembering those childhood days and my obsession for reading has never eased.

 
At Thursday, September 05, 2019 12:57:00 AM, Blogger Sumana Roy said...

This was an enjoyable read Jim. Though I don't remember how I came to know my a, b, c's in English as well as in my own mother tongue Bengali but I remember my mother reciting rhymes and Tagore poems. As children's memory is very sharp I still remember most of them.

 
At Thursday, September 05, 2019 3:50:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I remember the Billy Goats Gruff! We didn't have Dick and Jane, though, we had Janet and John.

 
At Thursday, September 05, 2019 9:49:00 AM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

I remember some of those tales. A lovely stroll down memory lane.

 
At Saturday, September 07, 2019 9:10:00 AM, Blogger Felisol said...

Yes, I remember. My first book about a cat called Monsemann. My parents had to read it over and over again on my second birthday. Next day I new it by heart. I started learning writing on a winterly boat trip to the ophthalmologist. 5 hours each way. My Dad had a news paper with big letters. I started with an A. My mother kept it and I treasure it now. I was three back then. Lucky me.

 
At Sunday, September 08, 2019 9:27:00 AM, Blogger scotthastiepoet said...

Fondly and effectively recalled, Jim and a true pleasure to read... As illustrated by the comments received to date, most will certainly resonate in part with this, I'm sure...

 
At Sunday, September 08, 2019 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Truedessa said...

I remember learning to read, it opened up a whole new world of adventure. Dr Seuss was such fun to read with all the zany rhymes. To this day, I enjoy writing lyrical songs and poems incorporating rhymes.

 
At Sunday, September 08, 2019 10:05:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

The fearless goat! An interesting celebration of learning to read and the memories that spiral from that.

 
At Sunday, September 08, 2019 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Back for another visit with Billy Goat Gruff and Dick and Jane. I had forgotten them and it was nice to remember.

 
At Sunday, September 08, 2019 3:10:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

I do remember all the fairy tales I read when I learned to read.... but most of all I think I remember the first real thick book I read... (a Moomin book...)

 
At Sunday, September 08, 2019 3:50:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Your poem brought back so many memories. I remember Three Billygoats Gruff and Dick and Jane as well. Also Alice and Jerry (ha) who were contemporaries of Dick and Jane! What an adventure to learn how to read. Well penned!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home