Sunday, September 01, 2019

A Gothic Fiction Short Story for the Prose Pantry

Why was this lake house cottage renting for so cheap

We all loved the little cottage by the lake. And we got it so cheap, the Landlord has ducked my question why such a bargain. A bit of worry, he responded, "the basement's wet, don't go down there." 
 
We fed the kids hot dogs that night. The neighbor girl, Neiva, and our daughter, Cloie, turned in early for their first night. We all follow after the News.

But I can't sleep, I'd heard a noise a bit earlier. Maybe. But it stopped soon and I didn't go down until now.

Nothing down here, all like we left it. I put my ear to the basement door and hear swishing there. I easily jimmy the lock, open the door slowly and turn on the light.

I see the curtains waving, someone or somebody had just left through the window. Worse though are the bodies floating in waist deep water. Kids, all kids and teen girls.

Closer I look. There was one lady, half naked with her arms torn off. Then I see her face, bloody and scratched, it was my wife.

Call the sheriff, call the sheriff!!! My cell phone had no coverage.

Just then I see the landlord coming through the basement door. With a hand half covering his eyes he comes toward me. But something is wrong, he looks more like a bear than a man.

His front two teeth are six inches long. But sickening to me those teeth are holding the teens, Cloie and Neiva. They are limp and crying.

With strength I never knew I had I grab him by the throat and hold tight until he collapses.

Neiva ran upstairs to call the sheriff, Cloie was still crying, and I puke. 

Now I know why the low priced rent.
 _ _ _ _

 - Prose Story Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Magaly Guerrero in the Pantry of Prose at http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/09/telling-tales-with-magaly-guerrero.html?m=1

 - Magaly wants us to write a Gothic Fiction Short Story having 313 words or less.  Mine with the title has 304 words. What is Gothic Fiction?  Read around my Google Search, click here.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At Monday, September 02, 2019 6:45:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Yes, you really have to check these cheaper rents thoroughly don't you!

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 9:19:00 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I guess you get what you pay for... and a little something extra thrown in. Even if he was too late for his wife I was glad to see the girls escape such a grisly/grizzly fate.

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 9:24:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oy, i could see him, those big fangs. Glad it ended well, and there would be no more ghastly deaths.

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 9:40:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Cheap things can end up being so pricey! How terrifying, Jim. Especially the way the landlord seems... so very normal, before he shows his true teeth. Thank goodness the dad didn’t completely lost it to panic.

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 9:41:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

*lose it*

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

A mighty big price for cheap! Love this story Jim!!

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 10:25:00 AM, Blogger Truedessa said...

I guess sometimes cheap comes with a high price. Scary and riveting, It's a good thing some super human strength came in to play to save the day or should I say night.

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

Holy camp Crystal Lake, Batman! Definitely getting vibes reminding me of some of the slasher flicks I watched as a teen. LOL, yeah, when things seem too cheap, always ask yourself why.

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 2:48:00 PM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

I like how you build this up and reached a climax of terror and escape. Good story.

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 3:03:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

Oh such terror.... what terror, definitely a high price to pay.

 
At Monday, September 02, 2019 4:50:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Wonderfully imagined / invented!

 
At Wednesday, September 04, 2019 1:17:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Yikes! My worst nightmare made even worse. Well done.

 
At Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:32:00 PM, Blogger rudraprayaga said...

The anxiety ended at the end only. Nice story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home