Saturday, August 17, 2019

Moonlight Musings I - an Essay

Moonlight Musings I (1st. Edition): Interactive Edition was born. (Meaning that Magaly Guerrero gets to be the first of it editors.)


My essay, a commentary:

Well, today is your day you can interact with me and the others who have opened themselves to criticism over their social media writing via comments left (click on the link below).

I've had some pretty flagrant endings of the great social media from some nasty commenters. "If you can't say something nice then it's better to say nothing at all."

My first was a supposedly news writer who went beyond flaming on my Facebook. She said nasty things and insinuations about Mrs. Jim, my wife. Saying bad things to or about me is one thing, I'll even try making up. But you'd best leave Mrs. Jim alone, to me that's cheap shot bullying. I unfriended her. 

Another was upset because I sided with Anna Nicole Smith (Wikipedia link) in the feud over her inheritance from her husband, J. Howard Marshall, with her stepson, E. Pierce Marshall. The upset reader harassed me continually until I took my post down.  I decided that I would not take sides over anymore issues like that.  Nor did I or will I get political on my blog.  

(Smith lost her battle, the stepson died before the case was finally settled, and some time later Smith also died of "... "combined drug intoxication" with the sleeping medication chloral hydrate as the "major component."[88] No illegal drugs were found in her system. The official report states that her death was not considered to be due to homicide, suicide or natural causes." [Wikipedia])

Then the ones who rule play cops and letting you know when you've flaunted one. Like leaving a reference when one is asked for. Jesus said, "Let him who has done no sin throw the first stone." I start ignoring these types.

Now I don't mind pointing out typos, I beg you to let me know. Besides the Professor is to set an example.  In the comments left of course I like compliments.  But just letting me know you've read makes me 'feel good'.  Blogger tells me that I have about a 25 percent figure of my 'readers' who will leave comments.  For sure several are family members and Facebook friends who are not bloggers.
 _ _ _
 
 
 - Writing Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Magaly Guerrero at Poets United, at http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/08/moonlight-musings-the-interactive-edition-1.html?m=1
 - Magaly has asked us to have a post that will encourage readers to interact via comments.  Also to write in Essay Form using 369 or fewer words.  My essay portion is 361 words.  Phew!!
 

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:45:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I never understand people who feel like talking about anyone's family is ever okay. Why would anyone attack someone who is not even part of the conversation? Makes no sense to me. And I try really hard not to get political online. I might address a social issue or three, but never discuss hardcore political views with strangers. It rarely goes well.

On the bit about liking to get nice responses about our writing, who doesn't?! They are our word-babies. Some of them might be a bit crooked, or missing a few teeth, or limping a bit... but we still love them all. And it feels good to know that others can see their good attributes, too.

Thank you so much for adding your bit, Jim. :-)

 
At Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:52:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you, Magaly. Been paying Bill's today, I needed nice words. I'll read around tomorrow.
This was a pleasant prompt
..

 
At Saturday, August 17, 2019 7:44:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Your family members read your poetry? Wow!
I too have learned not to express political etc. opinions online for fear of starting too heated an argument - though I do sometimes share petitions, or what I think are good things others have said.

 
At Sunday, August 18, 2019 12:04:00 AM, Blogger Sumana Roy said...

It's quite outrageous when someone says nasty things whether it's to our loved ones or to our writings. Constructive criticism is always welcome. As a teacher I did that quite frequently to our students.

 
At Sunday, August 18, 2019 5:37:00 AM, Blogger Khaya Ronkainen said...

Hi Jim! I agree, for one to insinuate and say nasty things not only about you but your family is cheap shot bullying. Cutting ties is the best thing to do. Yes, I stay away from politics, and religion too. I liked reading your take on negative criticism.

 
At Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:43:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you for sharing. I do rant and rave on some FB pages where the owner has clearly taken sides on an issue.
..

 
At Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:53:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

I also like constructive criticism although I might be hanging my head for a while. We have some really good writers here who would make great teachers. Very likely you could though I don't know what subjects you taught. I didn't learn one thing about poetry writing as I taught business and Law. I have learned some from books however.
..

 
At Sunday, August 18, 2019 3:10:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you, Khaya. Yes, that seemed the best to do. I never try to retaliate although I can be defensive. This person had to dig around to find items she discussed.
..

 
At Monday, August 19, 2019 9:17:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Jim, i am so glad you weighed in on this topic. Yay! Nice to have you join the conversation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home