Friday, September 27, 2019

A Poem for the Weekend Mini Challenge

Maladroit

Maladroit, a fairly big word
for messed up or being clumsy
or the like--you can look it up

Maladroit, a word barely in
my working vocabulary
But it fits my direction goes

You see I hardly know left, right
My sister's that way too she says
that comes with "half dyslexia"

My problem first came to light when
I was marching in the Army
Left right left right your right left right ...

Those starts and turns were bad for me
I'd often hear, "Soldier put a
rock in your right hand." Not much help

And when I'm driving please don't say
"Turn left here," because we'll be through
the intersection way before

I think it out. Say "North or south."
When driving in France harder still
Please dont say to me "gauche et droite."

So now you can know why I wear
my watch on my right wrist. A 'Clunce'
_ _ _

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Kim Russel in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/09/weekend-mini-challenge-maladroit.html?m=1

 - The word, "Clunce".  I made it up,
"a hybrid wird produced when 'dunce' is mated with 'klutz'."
I first used it in another of my blogs, "Ask Dr. Jim (blog)", https://jimmiehov8.blogspot.com/2018/05/wife-knows-she-was-right-husband-thinks.html?m=1

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Friday, September 27, 2019 5:40:00 AM, Blogger Jae Rose said...

Clumsiness can be endearing!

 
At Friday, September 27, 2019 10:16:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I agree with Jae that clumsiness can be endearing, Jim. Dyspraxia is the name for more severe clumsiness, lack of special awareness, the kind that interferes with learning and daily life. There are so many people who don’t know left from right. I had it drilled into me when I was little and it stuck, but that’s not always the case. The army doesn’t seem to have helped at all. That’s a great idea, to wear your watch on your right wrist.

 
At Friday, September 27, 2019 3:12:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so evocative!

 
At Saturday, September 28, 2019 6:07:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

I haven't the expression "Clunce" for long time, glad so see it hasn't died out. I always think if you are failing in one aspect you are probably better or really good in another...not that I have worked out what is my best feature after 83 years!

 
At Saturday, September 28, 2019 7:55:00 AM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

It’s good to laugh at ourselves sometimes 😂

 
At Saturday, September 28, 2019 9:31:00 AM, Blogger kaykuala said...

It can be intimidating to be struggling for directions. It can however be more interesting and even fulfilling if mistakes are not material or life-threatening!

Hank

 
At Saturday, September 28, 2019 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Can't stop smiling ... this reminds me of the Gomer Pyle character of long ago ....

 
At Saturday, September 28, 2019 3:13:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

Ha... I remember feeling for the my heartbeat to know what is left. For sure I would pass the intersection (or worse)

 
At Saturday, September 28, 2019 8:32:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

very endearing... (my youngest son is dyslexic, I believe.)

 
At Monday, September 30, 2019 6:52:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Taught me a new (old) word, "Clunce".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home