Friday, September 20, 2019

A Poem for the Weekend Mini-Challenge

Grandma's Kitchen;
 things I remember

My Grandma's kitchen
was my safe harbor
A place where I could
be a boy my own

Safe from family males
swearing grandfather
my father learning
to be caring dad

But Grandma found time
time for us to talk
Secrets small, our big
confide safely here

Grandma Cookies were
the best--chocolate chip
Cracker-lined pot held
the best oyster stew

Furnished with blind great
grandfather's organ
iron kitchen stove and
table viewing barn

Cousins aunts uncles
and my grandparents
Holiday feast cooked
our grandpa hollered

"All you kids get in
the woodbox and wait!"

Was Grandpa joking?
 _ _ _

Poem  Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
I am linked with Sherry Blue Sky in the Imaginary Garden hosting the Weekend Mini Challenge at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/09/weekend-mini-challenge-grandmas-kitchen.html?m=1
 - I have 97 words and a title for my Mini Challenge.

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Friday, September 20, 2019 9:55:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this remembering, Jim. Our family gathered at my grandparents' place too. Much cackling. I smiled at your grandpa's woodbox threat, likely a joke. I love the organ being in the kitchen. Kitchens were lived in, then, not showpieces out of a magazine. I love your poem.

 
At Friday, September 20, 2019 7:32:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

My guess is that you kids had been running round the house screaming and he had had enough! A great laugh, although I do remember Mum's punishment was to shut us in the cupboard under the stairs for five minutes to quieten us down!

 
At Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:28:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Grandma's should offer a safe harbour, I hope I do for my grandson, including sharing secrets and baking cookies. From my own experience, most grandpas have a strange sense of humour!

 
At Saturday, September 21, 2019 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I really have to watch that with my youngest. Riddles save the day with her. There we are equally corny.
..

 
At Saturday, September 21, 2019 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

We have much in common, Mr. Jim!

 
At Saturday, September 21, 2019 4:05:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Some of my finest memories!

 
At Saturday, September 21, 2019 4:36:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Hi again! Can see how you interpreted my line about feeding my children as me inheriting her table ~~ alas, I did not.

 
At Saturday, September 21, 2019 4:58:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

What sweet memories...Thanks for sharing them.

 
At Sunday, September 22, 2019 6:46:00 AM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

A good laugh wrapped in sweet memories.

 
At Sunday, September 22, 2019 10:41:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I do love mostly the fact that in the kitchen a boy didn't have to be man... that one I can relate to.. maybe that's why I love cooking so much.

 
At Monday, September 23, 2019 9:49:00 AM, Blogger Linda Lee Lyberg said...

What a lovely place to be!

 
At Friday, September 27, 2019 11:07:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Awe - Grandmother's kitchen was a safe, comforting place to be - love that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home