Friday, March 29, 2024

My Cow - a Haibun for Friday Writings

Imagine a Brown Swiss Milk Cow, brown in color, with the same features as my FFA, Future Farmers of America, project for my junior and senior Ag activity and class. We took her home from a calf auction when she was small, just a few months old.  

That was for my sophomore year, I fed and cared for her, she was a pretty young heifer at summer break time. By graduation time next spring she was a good Milk Cow.  We separated her from her little calf the day it was born, and she joined our small Milk Herd.   

 All school FFA animals at our school must have been named.   I  named her Brownie.  

Baby to mama 
One short year boviens become 
A good investment

[Picture of a cow like mine, Brown Swiss]
_ _ _ 

 -  Haibun Prose Poem Copyright, 2024 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved 
 - I'm linked with Rosemary at Friday Writings #120, read her instructions here, 
..

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, March 29, 2024 9:26:00 AM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Interesting that you had to raise a calf for your school project! Must have been fun!!

 
At Friday, March 29, 2024 9:58:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I grew up in a farm. We had goats, we only milked them after the kids were weaned. I don't think I would've been able to remove a babe from its mama--I'm a wuss and terrible investor, lol!

 
At Friday, March 29, 2024 11:52:00 AM, Blogger colleen said...

How now, Brownie? I'm sad she was separated from her baby.

 
At Friday, March 29, 2024 11:38:00 PM, Blogger J Cosmo Newbery said...

Yep. Good name.

 
At Saturday, March 30, 2024 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Sounds liked you enjoyed caring for her. I've not had much to do with cows, but I'm told by people who have that they're very lovely animals.

 
At Saturday, March 30, 2024 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Wonderful! Your haibun tells a most heartwarming and historical story. The end haiku so true. Cheers and enjoy your weekend, Jim.

 
At Saturday, March 30, 2024 2:24:00 PM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

She was a beauty

 
At Thursday, April 04, 2024 7:44:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

What a great school project! Thanks for sharing the photo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home