Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Situation Intolerable - a Poem for dverse Poetics

René Magritte, Homesickness (1940), oil on canvas
  
        What I see in the photo 

Home seems different, seems so very warm 
Back to where I left off this very bridge 
Had no wings back then plunged into the cold 
Team with wings dressed in white that pulled me out 

I was issued suit like that, white with wings 
Notices on my back saying, "stay pending" 
Pending interview with the famous saint 
Backlog was ahead of me but I could wait 

I had persisted going back, visit 
Visit with kin left behind and explain 
Tell of my ills, worries, evil thoughts why 
I could bear no more had to make the jump 

Now thinking why and what, why I would leave 
Leave a mess behind that I couldn't cope 
So I was released, on leave of absence 
Gave me the lion to ride him back home 

Didn't tell me before but when we left 
Out the golden door my suit turned to black 
Wings I'd never used they said take with me 
But don't to use those wings as they're evil now  

And we came but the kin understood not 
Why I'd leave like that, messes left for them 
Here we stand on that bridge ready to leave 
Wanting to test these wings, I'd like to fly 

Lion senses bad, he needs to mount up 
With one giant leap and we could be gone 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2024, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Melissa Lemay at dVerse Poetics
 - Click here to read what others have written, go to the link just above to read about the artist, René Magritte, and to read our instructions from Melissa, our host tonight 
.. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 19, 2024 6:36:00 PM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

Maybe he'll leave with the lion.

 
At Tuesday, March 19, 2024 8:15:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

Love your thoughts about the same photo that we selected. Never thought of riding that lion back home.

 
At Tuesday, March 19, 2024 8:31:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

A great poem of thought-provoking depth, Jim. So many good layers in this one.

 
At Wednesday, March 20, 2024 3:40:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

A deep and interesting response to the image, Jim, especially as the speaker jumped off the bridge previously and got his wings, albeit in limbo, and that he wants to jump together with the lion.

 
At Wednesday, March 20, 2024 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Your Magritte poem feels surreal ... I enjoyed it!

 
At Wednesday, March 20, 2024 10:56:00 AM, Anonymous Melissa Lemay said...

Jim, this is one of my favorites of yours I’ve read. You describe the man’s plight with such magical details in “Had no wings back then plunged into the cold
Team with wings dressed in white that pulled me out”
I love that he goes back to his loved ones, but now his wings are black. And the “ills, worries, evil thoughts” that I can only presume are why he wants to jump and fly away once again. A great take on the artwork!

 
At Wednesday, March 20, 2024 2:09:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

Oh... I really love the story you found in the picture... not easy to explain to your kin... they probably rather deal with your mess than being "helped"

 
At Wednesday, March 20, 2024 4:55:00 PM, Blogger Shirley B said...

Good interpretation of the painting. I had to chuckle at the 'backlog'.

 
At Thursday, March 21, 2024 8:45:00 PM, Anonymous seanatbogie said...

I like the way you have explained the reason for being on the bridge and the relationship with the lion.

 
At Saturday, March 23, 2024 7:16:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I love what you saw in this work, Jim!

 
At Monday, March 25, 2024 12:47:00 PM, Blogger paeansunplugged said...

I enjoyed your take, Jim. Leaving with the lion would be a great idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home