Friday, March 01, 2024

Grandpa H. and I - a Poem for Friday Writings

My Grandfather and Grandmother in 1957
(photo originally posted 2010 [URL])

  He Influenced Me; Grandpa H. 

Grandpa H. has changed my life 
Even now I sense his pull 
Good habits and bad, them all 
Some I've kicked, others remain 

Favorite was the rides with him 
It was me and him alone 
I liked his cars, Buicks new 
First off install his spittoon 

Grandpa with tobacco chewed 
Kissed we kids juice smeared our cheeks 
And did I chew,  why of course 
Nasty habit.  Place to spit? 

On our rides stop signs I liked 
"Stop! 'S' 'T' 'O' 'P'," he'd spell, 
"Stop, take off panties," he called 
Never understood it all 

Many more that I could tell 
A few chapters in my book 

Uncles, Grandpa, and Grandma 
My photo, 2006 (URL) From left to right: My Dad, Uncle Lester, Uncle Howard, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Chester in 1940s photo taken at Grandpa's farm. The car was Dad's blue 1938 Ford Tudor Deluxe
 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2006 and 2010 (Photos) and 2024 (Poem), All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Magaly Guerrero for hosting with Friday Writings #116 at 
 -  Magaly is taking over Rommy's prompt which is to ask you to write about someone who made an impression on you as a child (for good or ill).
..

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Friday, March 01, 2024 3:23:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

He sounds a lot like my maternal grandfather, Jim. Though he smoked a pipe, no chew. As the oldest grandchild, I named him "Pong." I loved riding with him in his pickup ... though I remember he kept a fifth in the glovebox.

 
At Friday, March 01, 2024 3:57:00 PM, Blogger colleen said...

I never knew one person who chewed tabacco until I moved to VA. You're grandpa had a good sense of humor STOP

 
At Friday, March 01, 2024 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

As I also said to Rall on her post, good grandpas are the best!

 
At Friday, March 01, 2024 4:54:00 PM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

Haha ... his take on the Stop sign shows a great sense of humor I think you inherited. :)

 
At Saturday, March 02, 2024 12:19:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

Oh what a wonderful ode to granddad and I love his sense of humour.

 
At Saturday, March 02, 2024 11:42:00 AM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

Such cool memories of you alone with your grandpa. My dad didn't chew unless it was on a cigar! We could tell when he was having a good day because he'd have a stogie going.

 
At Tuesday, March 05, 2024 5:45:00 PM, Blogger J Cosmo Newbery said...

Good grandparents lay a foundation for life. For me, my maternal grandma was the only one i knew. I owe her much. Thank you for the timely reminder.

 
At Tuesday, March 05, 2024 9:34:00 PM, Blogger vanderloost said...

I miss having grandparent tales. They passed away before I could bond with them. Nice reminiscence Jim.

 
At Wednesday, March 06, 2024 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

That's nice. I had one biological grandfather, who was not a warm man. Oh, not rude or mean, just distant, like men were "supposed" to be back then.

 
At Wednesday, March 06, 2024 8:02:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Sounds like a cool grandpa!

 
At Thursday, March 07, 2024 1:52:00 AM, Blogger rudraprayaga said...

My life with grandpa and grandma was really enthusiastic, listening to stories, maxims, proverbs and pieces of advice. I remembered them when I endearingly went through this. I liked it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home