Friday, March 15, 2024

St Patrick's Day - a Poem for Friday Writings


    
    Was St. Patrick Pinched?

Was our St. Patrick really real?
Yes he was real though not a saint 
Catholics hadn't made saints back then 
Celebrate him March seventeen 

He drove snakes out of Ireland? 
Yes, were a poetic symbol
Metaphors for the devil leaving 
Leaving from his many converts 

Did leprechauns really help him? 
Total fable they don't exist 
We like to think so, needed help 
We write of them as if they're real*

Then why should we wear green that day? 
Wear them so that you won't get pinched 
Green dress gives total Pinch License 
Put on your green and pinch away **

** A very good rundown on "9 Surprising Facts About St. Patrick's Day" can be found Here.  



 - Photos are copies I took, this year, of TV pictures being broadcasted 
 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2024, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am Linked with Magaly at Friday Writings  #118 at 
   where Magaly has invited "us to write poetry or prose inspired by strange spring traditions. Don’t happen to know any? No problem!" According to her, "we can find some interesting choices HERE and HERE and HERE." (My 'St. Patrick's Day' would be weird conduct on any day but St. Patrick's Day, but still is not as weird as some of these.)
.
p.s. an apology  to my faithful readers who were waiting on the 14th for my annual "pi Day post".  Finaly i made it, dated as proper for pi, March 14.  Here is my repertoire for the ones I have posted, 
..

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, March 14, 2024 11:22:00 PM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Oh I didn't know you'd get pinched if you didn't wear green on St. Patrick's day... LOL :)

 
At Friday, March 15, 2024 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I like your light-hearted yet educational verse! However cannot like St Pat, as I believe you've got one thing wrong – the snakes were actually a metaphor for the Pagans: the Druids and witches. And ha ha, he did not succeed in driving them out, only underground.

 
At Friday, March 15, 2024 5:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Rosemary, you have it right also. Depends on who you've studied and fell for. Yours were all purveyors of the Devil, his angels, booted from their souls.
Jim here.
..

 
At Friday, March 15, 2024 8:17:00 AM, Blogger colleen said...

Some say the snakes were the druids. I never heard the part about pinching, kind of like spankings on birthdays the number of years you are.

 
At Friday, March 15, 2024 8:36:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

Well done! This is how "history" is made ... a pinch of real and fantasy. :)

 
At Friday, March 15, 2024 8:53:00 AM, Blogger alan1704 said...

Well done - you have to admire St Patrick !

 
At Friday, March 15, 2024 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I didn't know about the pinching. Everyone I know, has always been focused on the "kiss me, I'm Irish" bit. Interesting...

 
At Sunday, March 17, 2024 8:48:00 AM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

Ha! Very cute. Love your leprechaun. I'm half Irish but I don't want to get pinched! Happy St. Paddy's Day.

 
At Monday, March 18, 2024 7:20:00 AM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

There have been times I forgot to wear green and was pinced. I wonder how that tradition can tagged on.

 
At Friday, March 22, 2024 8:00:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

This was a delightful read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home