Friday, April 21, 2017

NaPoWriMo 2017, Day 21 -- an Ode,


 
To My Memories
 
My lips are sealed, there are things I cannot tell
Sealed not by birth nor by surgery or accident
Sealed only because some things need not be told
Not by promise to anyone except a promise to myself
 
Some for money will say things that needn't be told
Others for release of bursting head memories
Perhaps I'm selfish, I do enjoy reliving those moments
If that was a sin then is it still a sin to savor them now
 
If my reasons for keeping mum are for none of these
Then you might ask, pray why won't you tell
And if you do ask I'll say my reasons I just won't release 
Keep these to myself, smile or cry, I will enjoy and mourn
 
_ _ _ _ _
  - Photo and Poem Copyright © 2017 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved
 
 - Notes: 
 - - 1) The photo was taken while I was at one of my running away places (this may be true or 'truth embellished')
 - - 2) Many of my poems are purely hypothetical if they relate to me or to my feelings, others a mixture of being true or untrue.  This one is more truth than fiction.
.
 - I'm linked withat the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/04/i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream.html 
  - - - and   
 - also to Day Twenty-one of NaPoWriMo, http://www.napowrimo.net/day-twenty-one-2/

   
 The instructions from Magaly: "I’m not exactly sure how old I was the first time I read I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream”,  by Harlan Ellison ... Can you imagine yourself being full of ideas and words and feelings and wants and urges and needs… and not being able to communicate them? Have you ever pictured yourself living in a world where you are not allowed to speak? ... (here she added 'we could add "for fear of punishment"'--which definitely did not apply to mine, at least anymore) ...  I invite you to create a new poem inspired by the title of Ellison’s short story ... "]

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Friday, April 21, 2017 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes, some things we keep to ourselves. Good one, Jim.

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I love, love, love the idea of keeping mum for one's own pleasure. This world has used guilt as a weapon for too long. Way too long.

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

There is wisdom in keeping mum sometimes..Beautifully penned.

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 1:32:00 PM, Blogger Paul John Dear said...

Keep mum and schtum, chum ;)

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 2:21:00 PM, Blogger lynn__ said...

I like this...why should we expose everything? Sometimes silence is wisdom.

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 2:50:00 PM, Blogger De Jackson said...

I love this:
"Others for release of bursting head memories"

I have felt that.

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 4:43:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Not everyone can nor should they be required to speak about that which they prefer to keep silent.

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 8:42:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

We all have a right to our privacy, and to choose what we do or don't share.

 
At Friday, April 21, 2017 10:44:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

People perhaps confess too much-- there is sense of honor here. K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home