Sunday, August 07, 2016

a New Word poem ~~ Flash 55



New word in town; 
meet "Lacuna" 

Now and then I learn a new word 

Be it big or small, nice or not, 
Brittle or chewy, sweet and sour 
"Lacuna" sounds Spanish to me 

Not sure what I was thinking of 

Schoolboy, say it one hundred times 
"Lacuna" today, gaping teeth 
'Twill be forgotten tomorrow




_ _ _ _ 

Photos Copyright 2016, 2016, and 2011 and Poem Copyright 2016, © Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

 - Top Photo (2016) -- Probably from our 2007 (2007 link 'a' ) (2007 link 'b') visit to Scotland, but not posted before.  It is an unusual semi-detached cottage situated next to a Church of Scotland chapel we found out in the country but I have no idea now where we were (I sure do hope it is my picture, one that I took!!). The property must be over 100 years old and was probably was once the residence of the pastor or church beadle.
 - Middle photo (2016) -- I took this one during our train ride to visit Northamptonshire this summer.
 - Bottom photo (2011) -- [large picture] [super sized] If you like art then go to Europe. We found this Cézanne original in the Lautrec Museum in Albi, France. It is by Paul Cézanne (1839 to 1906) and yes, he was pretty quirky. (For more of our trek to the Albi click here.)(Cézanne Wikipedia link)
.
Tonight I'm linked with Kerry O'Conner at her post in the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Flash 55 Plus!  [http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2016/08/flash-55-plus.html ]

As usual for the Flash 55 Plus! post it must (1) be exactly 55 words and (2) preferably use Kerry's new-to-me word, "Lacuna".  I did both, counting my title. 

Lacuna: a noun
an unfilled space or interval; a gap.
"the journal has filled a lacuna in Middle Eastern studies"
  • a missing portion in a book or manuscript.
  • ANATOMY
    a cavity or depression, especially in bone.

    Hence my schoolboy with missing teeth (a gap, a "lacuna").


Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Sunday, August 07, 2016 2:45:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

I also like to learn new words. I like your cottage pics today, Jim.

 
At Sunday, August 07, 2016 3:59:00 AM, Blogger Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

I learned a new word, too. And your poem will help me remember it.

 
At Sunday, August 07, 2016 6:49:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, that's very clever and funny, the way you conclude.

 
At Sunday, August 07, 2016 8:12:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

It made me smile, thinking back to the days I tried memorizing all sorts of words to ace my SATs.

 
At Sunday, August 07, 2016 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I enjoy your sense of humor Jim ....

 
At Sunday, August 07, 2016 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Daguodasun said...

"Mind the gap?" Doesn't sound like an American way to express this scenario.. England pic maybe?

 
At Monday, August 08, 2016 7:27:00 AM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Mind the gape describes my brain --- agh! But one keeps trying. K.

 
At Monday, August 08, 2016 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful cottage photos. You have a way with humor. Great write.

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2016 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Artsy said...

Thx fir teaching me a new word while i enjoy your everlasting sense of humor.-gel

 
At Tuesday, August 09, 2016 11:27:00 AM, Blogger Artsy said...

I meant For

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

o también "la cuna "...:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home