Thursday, July 03, 2014

Will I say why not (or what did I say?)

[click on picture for larger size]
 
Why I Won't 
.
"I won't because you don't like me"
"I won't because you don't love me"
A subtle difference that makes 
.
Today though we'll check on one word
"Won't" is our word, it's for "will not"
Ask me why not we say "willn't" 
.
Blame it on the Brits, Old English
Then for "will not" they said "wonnot"
Which soon was contracted to "won't"
.
 - - - - -
.  ....
Picture and Poem Copyright, © 2014 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved.
[Picture is 'screen print' of the link show below the picture]
.
Today I am linked with at the Real Toads, Out of Standard Challenge
.
For her challenge she said: "Visit The Amazing and Interesting Fact Generator for a factoid, then build a poem around it.  How, when, and why is up to you!"  I chose writing on the word, "won't", and why we say that instead of "willn't".  This fact was brought to life on a link on the side bar of the Generator.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, July 03, 2014 11:57:00 PM, Blogger Isadora Gruye said...

ha ha ha ha...zing! Thanks for putting this one together. I revel in the cleverness. Viva la and thanks again!

 
At Friday, July 04, 2014 2:41:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

yes, I see what you mean by your comment over on my poem. You and I are literalists. Some poets played with the facts but not us. We took them down and dirty with very little sugar and a slight laugh.

 
At Friday, July 04, 2014 6:35:00 PM, Blogger audrey` said...

Thank you for lessons on the "won't" word, Dr Jim :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home