Sunday, June 08, 2014

City Kids -- Grace's Sunday's Mini-challenge


 
City Kids
 
Growing up through the cracks like clover, city kids they were. Almost wild, hatched on the sidewalk. Eggs dropped there by a bird.  Who their fathers were, nobody knows for sure.
 
Boys and girls, closely housed.  When they flowered that was another story.  Take advantage while you can. From the street, learn your lessons well was their motto. 
 
Some went on to become famous, others transplanted to homes on silk stocking row.  Still more spent their lives inches and yards away from their mama's home.
 
I was a lucky one, with a small bunch of others, we were plucked.  Plucked and away to become educated and married well (only some did the latter).  A few when plucked shriveled, died, and dried.
 
One thing I can say, I'm proud to be Irish, freckles, three and four leaves, and all.  
 
 
[large picture] [super size]
I picked this clump of clovers from the sidewalk leading to downtown Killarney, Ireland.
..
Pictures and Poem Copyright, © 2008 and 2014 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved
 
Today I am linked with Kerry's Real Toads, Open Monday (link)
Sunday I linked with Grace's Sunday's Mini-challenge at the Real Toads (link)
 
Grace's challenge this weekend was to write about our insides with nature or season as inspiration. She said, "the prompt is wide open and feel free to use my title if it inspires you. Please write a new poem or prose poem or flash fiction (less than 250 words) and link up with Mr Linky."  My word count of this little prose poem is 140.
 
Note:  I am not Irish and did not grow up in the city.  A fourth of my blood is Manx (Corkhill family) although there was a great migration of the Irish to the Isle of Man in the 5th Century A.D.  Another fourth is English, with family names of Fletcher and Cram. The rest is German and undermined English ancestry.  And I grew up on a farm.
 
Originally I had posted these two pictures originally on Jim's Little Blog (link) in 2008.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Sunday, June 08, 2014 4:12:00 PM, Blogger Marian said...

oh... i like this, Jim. i want to know more about silk stocking row... there you go, write a poem about that. :)

 
At Sunday, June 08, 2014 4:48:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Interesting way to personify the outcomes of these beings. Well written!

 
At Sunday, June 08, 2014 5:34:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

They are a sturdy bunch to be growing & flowering beside the city streets ~ I like the voice: I'm proud to be Irish, freckles, three and four leaves, and all.

Thanks for linking up with Sunday's Challenge Jim ~ Wishing you happy week ahead ~

 
At Sunday, June 08, 2014 6:23:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I'm proud to be freckled and Irish too, Jim.......I am intrigued by the stories alluded to in this poem - sounds like they would make a great memoir or essay about growing up in the city.........

 
At Sunday, June 08, 2014 11:45:00 PM, Blogger C.C. said...

This is so clever and brilliantly written....I love the city kids, "hatched on the sidewalk."

 
At Monday, June 09, 2014 12:02:00 AM, Blogger audrey` said...

Street-smart is very important. We like the clump of clovers, Dr Jim :)

 
At Monday, June 09, 2014 10:37:00 AM, Blogger avalon said...

Crazy mixed yo kid, aren't you ;-) All those different backgrounds.
I love it when I find flowers where you don't expect them.

 
At Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:25:00 AM, Blogger Jinksy said...

A wealth of stories tied in a neat bunch...

 
At Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:52:00 PM, Blogger Herotomost said...

This reads wonderfully like the start of a characterization for a novel. Reminded me of Angela's Ashes, not sure why but it did. Very creative take on the prompt and a wonderful pic to accompany. Great job!

 
At Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Very nice twist - it actually does read like a family history - not the flowers! Fun and clever.

 
At Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:31:00 AM, Blogger 21 Wits said...

I know that kid as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home