Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Grandmother's Lace

Grandma's Present 

Every Christmas
Grandma gave us handkerchiefs
Girls, hand laced edges
Embroidered initials
for the boys.  Your grandmother?

. . . . . . . . .. . - - - - -

Poem Copyright, © 2014 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

Today I am linked with Susie Clevenger of  Real Toads, Bits of Information

At the link above, Susie has an excellent summary of the history of lace.  Did you know that in the olden days the lace trade was a hot ticket to riches?  Much was smuggled across borders. Cheap child labor was prevalent in the industry. Prices were very high, etc, etc.

Our challenge by Susie was to write an original piece involving lace.  My Tanka poem was written with my iPad as we are still traveling.  It is true. My grandmother was wonderful!  She was also excellent at any type of needlework and sewing. 

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 07, 2014 9:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw... Much as I loved my grandmother she never gave me lace. Very nice hand knitted socks (that I still use), but never lace. This is very nice!

 
At Wednesday, May 07, 2014 9:27:00 AM, Blogger Sumana Roy said...

aw...my grandma was an excellent cook and made those mouth watering pickles....ah those were the days... :) what a wonderful gift a handkerchief with initials makes...beautiful lines :)

 
At Wednesday, May 07, 2014 9:40:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I carried my great grandmother's lace hankie down the aisle many, many years ago.

 
At Wednesday, May 07, 2014 9:45:00 AM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

What treasured gifts. I can picture your Christmas morning. Thanks for writing!!

 
At Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

She had doilies on the back of her chairs and under her vases… I don't recall handkerchiefs. Sweet poem.

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2014 9:17:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

My grandmother insisted I learned to embroider handkerchiefs myself, and she gave me so many of the lace-edged variety - I still have a few at the back of my drawer.

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes! I remember cloth handkerchiefs......before Kleenex. Back then, the thought of all the "disposable" things we use today would have horrified my grandma. Not to mention how expensive everything is. She was of the generation that saved brown paper, bits of string, used everything. It was a good way to live.

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I relate to the surgery your wife had recently ... back in 1989 I had bunion surgery on both feet (at the same time) ... if I hadn't gone that route, I would NEVER have returned for the second surgery! One of the most painful times in my almost 73 years ....

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2014 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

How lovely of her... :)

 
At Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:19:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Grandmother gave me books and mosaics and etchings. All our grandmothers made things with their hands.

 
At Friday, May 09, 2014 12:16:00 AM, Blogger audrey` said...

Please have a safe and blessed trip, Dr & Mrs Jim :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home