Friday, March 07, 2014

Rocks I know and ...




Rocks I know and some I don't 

Rocks are my friends, that wasn't always so
When I was young and in college my prof
Said to me, "if you'd have come more often
You would have passed mineralogy class" 

So I failed. Even so I still like rocks
I find them hiding in places I've been
From a friend one may come my way to stay
Dull or bright, to me they are pretty souls 

Now I'll introduce a few of my pets
Several in my fold have Orient blood
Polished smooth I plucked from clear river beds
Lakeside beaches wet and shining they called 

Some black, volcanic from a lava flow
Hawaii took for granted; my cherished
Mount St. Helens gray pumice rock, rolled down
at birth, three months old came into my fold
 
Found along a path walking up the hill
Derelict, Athens Greece gave no respect
Ireland, Scotland, Isle of Man roosted
From Adriatic, Black, and Baltic seas

Mediterranean, Aegean, more
North Pole, South Pole, not--try Australia
One, large and green, I call to be Jadeite
Quartz, petrified wood, and fools gold abound 

One rock I've not, I want it so badly
It's on my bucket list--been there so long
Before I die it might come to my home
Big bucks I'll gladly spend, METEORITE

- - - - - -

Photo and Poem Copyright © 2014 Jimmiehov All Rights Reserved

I'm linked today with the Real Toads, Hannah's Transforming Friday

Some of my older rock and stone posts (link)

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Friday, March 07, 2014 1:38:00 PM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

Such a unique collection. There is something about a rock or crystal picked up and held in the palm that speaks of place, and our journey through it to the next place.

 
At Friday, March 07, 2014 3:56:00 PM, Blogger Gail said...

I know exactly what you mean. I try to commemorate each adventure with a stone so I can touch it and travel there again.

 
At Friday, March 07, 2014 5:57:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

I also know what you mean ~ For me its shells but I can imagine collecting rocks from different places or to make me recall happy times spent in the place ~ Happy Friday Jim ~

 
At Friday, March 07, 2014 7:17:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool kinship with rocks, Jim. I am the same way. I have them everywhere, porch, in jars, in baskets....when I beach walk my pockets sag with rocks, I find them in riverbeds too........for years, I used to find heart shaped rocks everywhere. None lately though.

 
At Friday, March 07, 2014 7:18:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

p.s. I am amazed at all of the places you have plucked rocks from and hope you get your meteorite!!!!!

 
At Friday, March 07, 2014 10:44:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

What a grand adventure and these rocks I see as markers on a timeline of your life....very inspiring thank you so much for writing, Jim!

 
At Saturday, March 08, 2014 8:58:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I recognize a fellow rock nerd anywhere. Nice work here

 
At Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:09:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

This is sheer delight ... yes, meteorite!!!!

 
At Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:51:00 AM, Blogger audrey` said...

This is a very beautiful collection, Dr Jim :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home