Sunday, June 29, 2014

Turned Blue?

Turned Blue?
.
My sweet potato has turned blue
I'll love her no matter what hue 
  .
Long legs, loved by every man
Shapely, muscled, browned summer tan 
  .
Dimples, hidden, on her smooth cheeks
I know they're there, loved them for weeks 
  .
She was a sweet thing, once so hot
Though Adam's rib knockoff she's not 
  .
Her smile is like summer night's flirt
My sweet potato, came from dirt
..


- - - - -
.  ..
Picture and Poem Copyright, © 2014 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved.

Today I am linked with Kerry at the Real Toads Sunday eChallenge (link)
And again Monday with her at the Real Toads Open Link Monday (link)
Notes: 
1) Kerry's challenge was to be avant-garde.  In form I'm probably definitely not like these words of hers:   "Remember the basic precepts of the school of avant-garde art is to be innovative, ahead of your times, bold, courageous and visionary."  Perhaps my words might be.
For sure in form I'm most basic with this standard five stanza couplet (link)(At the link, the writer said that "even young children can write couplets.")
Also I am aware that the 'number' of my pronouns is singular while I have numerous (three) moldy sweet potatoes in the picture. I took the picture before I ever thought of writing a poem to one, the loveliest, of them. 
2) These baked sweet potatoes which served as inspiration for this 'poem' we found in our refrigerator when we came back from our recent seven week holiday (47 days-a transatlantic cruise and a month in May).  They were covered in blue mold.


Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Sunday, June 29, 2014 5:31:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

Yikes on those potatoes turning blue ~ But I enjoyed the rhyming couplets :-)

 
At Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very funny, Jim, and a very creative take on the prompt! Thanks. K.

 
At Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Ella said...

I enjoyed your penned sweetness-but the blue is eeew! Yes, it happens. I hope you enjoyed your cruise~

 
At Monday, June 30, 2014 1:21:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Loved the double meaning - I'm glad it was real sweet potatoes and not something sinister.

 
At Monday, June 30, 2014 7:30:00 AM, Blogger Lolamouse said...

This gave me a giggle this morning! If I had found blue, moldy potatoes in my fridge, I doubt I'd be moved to write a cute poem about them!

 
At Monday, June 30, 2014 1:48:00 PM, Blogger Mark Kerstetter said...

It's a beautiful thing to see beauty in decay.

 
At Monday, June 30, 2014 7:44:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I LOVE this poem.........made me smile!

 
At Tuesday, July 01, 2014 2:20:00 AM, Blogger Amrit Sinha said...

Wow ... what a creative description ... loved it :-)

 
At Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:57:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Those orange tubers now filled with the blues...love it!

 
At Wednesday, July 02, 2014 2:49:00 AM, Blogger kaykuala said...

One do find such long forgotten 'things' on returning from vacation. A friend found his treasured aquarium full of dead fish. Nicely Dr Jim!

Hank

 
At Wednesday, July 02, 2014 2:00:00 PM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

Oops! Those mouldy sweet potatoes look scary. It is surely innovative to turn them into a poem, Jim.

 
At Thursday, July 03, 2014 5:33:00 PM, Blogger audrey` said...

Sweet potatoes are very nutritious, Dr Jim :) Many Asians survived solely on them during both World Wars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home