Friday, June 13, 2014

Cats -- Guido Vedovato

I call this one, "Alley Cat, a Cat of the Night" (link)
.
Cats and then Cats;
and then 'cats' painted by Guido Vedovato
.
Yellow cats we have seen
White ones, grey and black too
Striped, spotted, solid
Calico  cats I love
They're yellow, black, and brown 
  .
God can make a kitten
And grow him big and strong
Some can draw a cat nice
The idea is plain,
can we can tell it's a cat? 
  .
Some are scrawny stick cats,
others elegant and
suitable for framing
Modern art changes that
  .
His, perched on braided rugs
Fuzzy plush toys they seem
Squeeze please and I'll squeal
Colorful, spotted cats
Like ones God doesn't make
 .
Picture, Poem Copyright, © 2012, 2014 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved
 .
- - - - -
 .
**Note:  Click on that link to see a few of Vedovato's cats
 .**
I'm linked with Fireblossom Friday's Challenge at the Real Toads again where another "naïve" painter (and sculptor), the Italian artist Guido Vedovato was presented.
 .
The challenge was to "Take a look at these paintings by Guido Vedovato and see what poems you may feel inspired to write!" Due to stringent copyright restrictions, we were asked not to post any of his art work.
 .
I have several cat posts on my other blog, Jim's Little Blog.  You can see a few here.

Guido Vedovato
Wikipedia (Creative Commons)

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, June 14, 2014 3:30:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

I love Guido's cats - they are so playfully rendered but with something feral in eye and claw. Your poem's playful rhythm is very much in keeping with the naive art.

 
At Saturday, June 14, 2014 6:47:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I picked the cats too. Now that I look at them again through your poem, I wonder that I forgot to mention his amazing depictions of the fur. I'd love to watch him paint. He must take exquisite care.

 
At Saturday, June 14, 2014 8:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful ending!

 
At Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I was inspired by this unique artist to scribble my own art! I love how you were inspired, Jim.

 
At Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A honest description of Guido Vedavatos cats... loves it jim!!

 
At Saturday, June 14, 2014 5:12:00 PM, Blogger Kay L. Davies said...

Psst, Jim, did you mean to say "stripped" or did you mean "striped"? Just askin' because I love your poem, especially the final line, and wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.
I agree with Kerry: the rhythm you used is perfect for naive art.
K

 
At Saturday, June 14, 2014 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you Kay. No, it wasn't a stripped cat. I really wanted it pronounced two syllables, stry-ped, but I did it wrong. This "stryped is sort of wrong too but it will get the right pronunciation (I hope).
..

 
At Sunday, June 15, 2014 6:46:00 AM, Blogger Fireblossom said...

Catblossom believes that ALL art should be about cats. Nothing can change her mind.

 
At Monday, June 16, 2014 8:18:00 AM, Blogger Kay L. Davies said...

Hi Jim
I think stripe-ed might have worked. Oh well, next time!
Thanks for your insightful question about my poem. My niece's husband (age 36) died of leukemia earlier this year, after an 18-month battle with it, during which time he was in the hospital more often than not. My niece phones me often, and recently said she wants to sell her house because she's surrounded by reminders of him and it hurts. I've told her grief lasts a long time, but didn't recommend she stay in the house. She and her young daughter would probably be better off in a condo closer in to town.
Thanks for asking.
K

 
At Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:55:00 PM, Blogger audrey` said...

I'm afraid of cats and dogs, Dr Jim :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home