Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Lucky Guy -- a Poem for dVerse Poetics

Look under the bridge
Can see Sydney's underpants
Not unlike Paris 
 _ _ _  

As I went under the bridge 
My mind began to wander 
Away from the tourist sights 
Remembering childhood day  
Bridges where I used to play 
Down at  the creek on our farm 
Over on the graveled road 
Under that bridge where I played 

Followed creek through the fence 
Duke and I sat on the bank 
Throwing rocks into the stream 
Duke was taking a short nap 
Sleeping dog reminded me 
I's thinking how it would be 
To be homeless here except 
My bed, blanket and a dog 

I'm the lucky veteran 
There's so many have no home 
_ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2018 (URL) and 2023 respectively, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Punam for the dVerse prompt, Bridge, in our write for "Poetics: Building Bridges" at 
 - Click here to read others' writings for the prompt 
.. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 27, 2023 2:47:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

A dog can be a great company, but it is sad when it is the only one.

 
At Wednesday, September 27, 2023 8:24:00 AM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

Poignant final lines, Jim.

 
At Wednesday, September 27, 2023 7:22:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

Very nicely done. Love the haiku.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2023 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Reena Saxena said...

I'm the lucky veteran
There's so many have no home

The underbelly of cities often invokes these feelings.

 
At Thursday, September 28, 2023 11:54:00 PM, Anonymous Melissa Lemay said...

It is always blessed to have gratitude as you express here.❤️

 

Post a Comment

<< Home