Thursday, September 07, 2023

The Book - a Prose Poem for dVerse MTB



My Book 


It's a book of must reads, a book that I must read.  There must be a reason to make the 'must', tell us more of that work of written art.  My book, borrowed from the local library shelves, "The Country of the Blind; a Memoir at the End of Sight", by Andrew Leland. 


Every man in my masculine line of ancestry that I have learned, has gone blind, blind of Macular Degeneration. That has come about age ninety, maybe eighty-nine.  Not a woman there, I've been told.  


So as I approach that yellowed age I must have something to prepare me.  What could be better than this book of a blind, blind man writing his memoirs?


I may skip around, there seems to be no end but an interesting beginning. In the beginning. Chapter One is titled “Seeing Stars”. I love to see the stars at night, shining in the heavens so bright. Lay on my back some night, I'm prepared for a sight. Shooting stars are my best, I'll do more of this until I cannot see the stars, blind to them and to most all.


Chapter Four might interest me, “The Male Gaze”. Interesting perhaps, I'll give it a test. Number Six is misnamed I feel sure, “The Library of Babel”. Don't go there, there weren't books back then, let alone a library of them. Chapter ten is the end, end of my book; it is titled “Half Smiling”. Do you think I will smile when I just have gone blind; I can't think of one thing to smile about on that sad day. How about you?


I may read between some lines, I could do that when I go blind. 'Do that my foot?' But perhaps by then I'll be ready for when, when my time comes to see nothing more.


I've a last little worry. I lose canes a plenty, that is now, when I can see. But when I cannot how will I ever find even one, lost cane.


    The End 

 _ _ _  


  - Prose Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
  - I am linked with Laura Bloomsbury at dVerse MTB
  - Laura wants us to write a Prose Poetry effort about a Book that we have or will have read last.
 - To read others writing work, Click Here

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Friday, September 08, 2023 3:12:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Oh Jim, your prose poem is so relatable. I too have macular degeneration. I love the way you write about ‘Seeing Stars’ and ‘Half Smiling’, so personal and understandable.

 
At Friday, September 08, 2023 8:42:00 AM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

An interesting post. Being blind is not a fun thing to look forward to. You have the heart of a fighter. You will make it through!

 
At Friday, September 08, 2023 11:18:00 AM, Anonymous Laura Bloomsbury said...

love all the 'must' repetitions in the opening and the peppering of questions

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2023 8:05:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Interesting.
Much🖤love

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2023 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

I heard the author interviewed on NPR. My mom had macular degeneration. It definitely affected her quality of life as she, who had always been a reader, could no longer read.

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2023 4:02:00 PM, Anonymous AJ said...

Such a great read Jim ❤️

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2023 1:46:00 AM, Blogger Frewin55 said...

A great poetical rendition reviewing this book, I have no reason to suppose I will, no family history, but I do think "What if..." and know I would have to learn more chords, more songs before sight went...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home