Tuesday, August 22, 2023

After Rains -- a Poem for Friday Writings and dVerse Poetics

   
  Rainy Day Fun 

It had rained that day, 
or was it from the melting snow 
Puddles and small streams 
I'm with my bottle and my stick 
Salad dressing's gone 
Done its duty and discarded 
Retrieved, fuel tanks full 
Passengers and crew coming here 

I'm the ship's captain 
Counting is done all are onboard 
The ropes are untied 
We are now leaving the harbor 
Guiding with my stick 
and coming around your corner 
Wave to me please 
The lad in navy suit age eight  
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - I'm linked with Grace at dVerse Poetics,   
 - Grace has asked us, "use the word "bottle" and its contents in your poem. What is brewing inside the bottle?"
 - You can read other's poems for Grace's dVerse prompt by clicking here 
 - I am also linked with Magaly at Friday Writings #91 who has invited us to find inspiration in the phrase “muscle memory” for her prompting.  Writing for it is optional, due to lack of time I opted to bring this poem to Friday Writings.  I wasn't up on "muscle memory" so I looked it up and learned. 
 - You can read Magaly's discourse of the prompt and links to others posting by clicking here 
 - As a lad growing up on my Dad's farm playing bottle boat and my tree branch stick this was one of my favorite play times when the little streams were flowing. 
.. 

Labels: , , , , ,

18 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 22, 2023 4:08:00 PM, Blogger Miriam E. said...

A beautiful scene (from a memory, perhaps?) you set up here... excellently crafted poem. I will wave to you, for sure...

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2023 7:52:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

I love the sentiments and memories you share here, Jim. Life was so much simpler in our day than it is now for our grandchildren. Well done.

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2023 1:29:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Such pride in having your own ship.

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2023 5:08:00 AM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

It seems a very fond memory of when you were the child captain of your bottle boat.

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2023 9:22:00 AM, Anonymous AJ said...

Such a lovely memory from childhood 🙌

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2023 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Oh Jim, I love this! You have me remembering all of the wonderful "play times" I had with my sisters growing up. Gathering leaves, sticks, stones for 'playing store.' Raiding my grandmother's attic looking for old clothes, 'playing house.' Those were such innocent times, I would have happily 'played boat' with you.

 
At Wednesday, August 23, 2023 2:13:00 PM, Anonymous Kim said...

This is truly lovely!

 
At Friday, August 25, 2023 1:00:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

I enjoyed your poem Especially the second stanza

 
At Friday, August 25, 2023 6:54:00 AM, Blogger piglet said...

Hello! An eight year old's memory bank has strong muscles, indeed...

 
At Friday, August 25, 2023 9:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great fun times with your bottle and stick and that best of all childhood toys, imagination!

 
At Friday, August 25, 2023 9:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Dunno why I have become Anonymous. This is Rosemary.

 
At Friday, August 25, 2023 10:13:00 AM, Blogger kaykuala said...

That's wonderful Dr Jim - a revisit after so many years. Bottles and sticks can certainly be helpful when available!

Hank

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2023 9:20:00 AM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

I'm waving and cheering you and your boat on your journey. Memory lane is a lovely place.

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2023 6:36:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I like the final image. It left me smiling. :-)

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2023 1:29:00 PM, Blogger Astrid said...

Such an intriguing poem! Waving and cheering you on as you ride the waves!

 
At Monday, August 28, 2023 2:45:00 AM, Blogger jossina said...

That must have been a beautiful memory...... childhood with so much of a make belief.

 
At Monday, August 28, 2023 10:50:00 AM, Blogger vanderloost said...

Cheers to you Jim! On your voyage to childhood.

 
At Friday, September 01, 2023 6:57:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

This is a wonderful memory, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home