Thursday, August 31, 2023

My Sister -- a Poem for Her -- for a dVerse Prosetics and Friday Writings

    Little Sister, 

When you are old, well pretty old 
old enough to drive like a Senior 
one who should be off the road, 
I'll get you a dog like a lady I knew  

I hear now that you don't drive far 
and are staying off the major roads 
like highways that run though town 
And freeways too, those can kill you  

Driving for me is still a challenge 
challenge to lead the traffic, up front 
you might try my secret, hide keys 
car keys, where they won't be found  

No disaster getting lost, the dog can help 
Follow him, he can take you home 

Note:  This isn't true, neither of us has reached this stage although we are both elderly. Many our age have.  Oh yes, there isn't a dog either.  You can read your fill about her on my other blog (click it).
 _ _ _ 

Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Rosemary at Friday Writings #92 at   
  - Rosemary has asked us to write  something in response to the phrase “triumph or disaster?”
 - I am also linked with   at dVerse Poetics, at      https://dversepoets.com/2023/08/29/poetics-siblings-the-ties-that-bind-and-gag/ 
   who wants us to write of our sibling(s).  I only have sister Lois, she is five years younger than I am.  This is NOT about her nor me nor having a dog (YET)
 - Click here to read of others writing for this second prompt.
.. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 2:40:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

It is hard to give up driving unless you live in a place where it works better without a car.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 3:51:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I’d love to know what your little sister thinks of this poem, Jim! I think I’m already driving like a Senior, as I don’t do it so often, but I can’t get anywhere without a car as there is no public transport. We have to drive to get to a bus or a railway station. I think I need that dog.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 4:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the humour of this! And the dog at the end - surprisingly true.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 4:37:00 AM, Blogger Petru J Viljoen said...

The above from Petru

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 8:28:00 AM, Anonymous Ange said...

I just love this Jim, so full of humour and love 💞

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 3:30:00 PM, Blogger Miriam E. said...

A great take on the prompt, Jim. It is really hard to give up driving - you lose a big part of your independence and I think it is scary for most people... would be for me.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 3:55:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Even in Washington it's hard for some people to give up driving.

Let's just say...I comment on the way other people drive only when they're making me so scared I'm willing to drive instead.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 5:02:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

Aging does make driving more precarious. Your photo says it all! Well done.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2023 8:17:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Some lighter moments which may ring true for many oldies! Having a dog is more of an assurance! But they can be a real help in known cases. Great write Dr Jim!

Hank

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2023 5:21:00 PM, Anonymous Melissa Lemay said...

I have a hard enough time finding my keys without hiding them from myself.😂

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2023 11:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself am at the stage where I choose not to drive very far out of our little town any more! I could if I had to, but see little need ... and petrol costs have risen....

 
At Friday, September 01, 2023 5:20:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

The perfect image to accompany the poetry!! Once upon a time I 'tried' telling my mother, who was in early to mid stage Alzheimer's that it might be time to give up driving, she lived in a very small town and would have had rides anywhere she needed to go ... for the first AND ONLY time in our lives, she practically screamed at me: "I'm the Mother. You're the Daughter" ... I never mentioned it again. It wasn't long after that, circumstances required she leave her little cottage home on sixteen acres, in the middle of nowhere Missouri, I brought her to live with my son and me in Florida.

 
At Sunday, September 03, 2023 4:53:00 AM, Blogger Rajani said...

Tough if you don't have public transport easily accessible. Luckily, we can manage quite comfortably here without driving ...will be hard to just stop one day if you're used to it.

 
At Monday, September 04, 2023 9:27:00 AM, Blogger vanderloost said...

LOL. I have a pet who would get very fidgety when I took to the wheels. Now I don't drive.

 
At Monday, September 04, 2023 9:49:00 AM, Blogger Cad said...

I've never learned to drive a car, or wanted too. Let's hear it for Public Transport! :-)

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2023 3:48:00 AM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

The hardest thing we ever had to do was gently take the keys from dad. In the end it was a mutual agreement, but life changing, just the same. I love that dog!

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2023 6:12:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

You have written a wonderful portrait of the results of aging,
with humor and style!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home