Monday, July 10, 2023

Kisses, eggs, and kids ~~ a Poem for dVerse Quadrille Twelfth's Anniversary

An Even Dozen  

That's an art of sorts 
Way too many most 
Not enough a few 
It all depends on 
commodity rife 

A dozen kisses 
That's way overmuch 
Twelve eggs is just right 
Kids, don't even think 
I've five really fine 

Dozens are handy 
Kisses couple's fine 
_ _ _ 
 
 - Photos and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehove 2016 and 2023, respectively, All Rights Reserved  
 - Photos and ensuing text are from my earlier post, 
 - I'm linked with   in Quadrille at Happy dVerse Twelfth Anniversay, 
 - Here a Quadrille poem has exactly 44 words not counting the title, tonight it should use the word Twelve. 
 - Clicking here will take you to the site containin links to other writer's efforts with their Quadrille writings.
 _ _ _ 

TMI Stuff?

Of growing up on the farm, the chicken end was pretty much Mom's, the feeding and growing and the care of the eggs that the hens would lay.  Saturday night found her cleaning the eggs that were produced for the week.  Often I would 'help' her as it was a good time to have Mom just for myself. 




She didn't have to grade them, like Grade AA Large, but this scale would take care of the sizing if she were to sell to an individual or a retailer.  Most times we took the eggs to a produce house. 


Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At Monday, July 10, 2023 8:45:00 PM, Anonymous Christine said...

When we had chickens I had read that I shouldn't wash them because it takes the protective layer off the eggs and they spoil faster. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. When I didn't wash them people would complain but in my eyes, fresh and free eggs are worth a little chicken poop.

 
At Monday, July 10, 2023 8:57:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

Nice poem, Jim. You are right! It does depend on what the twelve is referring to!

 
At Monday, July 10, 2023 11:03:00 PM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

After seeing your afterword, I understood about "enough" when it came to which grade the egg made. I think it is a great metaphor for each person's idea of what "enough" is. Creative use of the prompt, Jim!

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2023 2:35:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Our next door neighbour keeps chickens and she used to give us lovely free-range eggs. However she only has one now and that hen makes a noise like a dinosaur every morning, as if calling out for her companions. I feel so sorry for her. She is stall laying, though. I enjoyed the poem and the autobiographical note, especially imagining your special time with your mum.

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2023 6:45:00 AM, Blogger Grace said...

Love it when neighbors keeps chickens and share them when its a lot. Enjoyed reading the information afterwards.

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2023 1:38:00 PM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

Interesting perspective. Several towns around us are passing ordinances so people can keep chickens in their yards.

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2023 2:52:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

a dozen kisses sounds great.

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2023 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Ali said...

A fun poem for this prompt. I especially liked these lines and the story about spending time with your mom.
That's an art of sorts
Way too many most
Not enough a few

 
At Thursday, July 13, 2023 9:55:00 AM, Anonymous ben Alexander said...

I'm not so sure, Jim... if my wife gave me a dozen kisses, I wouldn't resist!

Much love,
David [ben Alexander]
SkepticsKaddish.com

 
At Monday, July 17, 2023 3:42:00 AM, Blogger Frewin55 said...

I like the poem though it made more sense after reading the note - the one time we kept chickens, we couldn't at first, find where they were laying until eventually we found three dozen and not trusting that they would be okay, I hard boiled them and made pickled eggs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home