Friday, June 23, 2023

An Epistolary Poem, aka a Letter Poem - Settling a Score -- a Write for Friday Writings

My Dear Brother xxx, 

You think my sonnets are non-conforming 
as they should be eighteen ten syllable lines.  
And the rhyming scheme should be abab cdcd 
efef ghgh ii.  

Mostly though I will continue writing what 
I call "short sonnets" with syllable count 
possibly from five to 11 or 12 syllables 
here those are okay.  Generally the meter 
is constant but sometimes not.  I am thinking 
most are seven or eight. 

And it probably will not be eighteen lines, 
most time smaller.  
  
BTW, I have Lingering COVID since March 2021.  
I can hardly smell and taste.  It also has made 
my memory loss worse, especially names of 
persons and places.  

Plus my mucus collects as never before, lungs, 
through, nose, and sinus. It seems the latter 
has lessened somewhat.  

And my balance has worsened, I'm using a cane 
now to help me to walk in a straight line.  I have 
lost about eight canes, I leave them someplace 
and someone else keeps. A few I get retrieved,  
including last week. I will check for it at the library 
come Tuesday; Monday is a holiday here in the 
USA.  

My neurologists think that I can blame some of 
the memory problem on to aging. But to me that  
memory problem is very annoying and embarrassing in conversations and writing, it also affects my keeping train of thought.  I will be [many] come this October, I will cope, or try to. 

Sorry also this became so long. Thank you again 
for what I hope is leeway on the sonnets in giving 
me a second chance with the writing, you are 
most kind.

Yours always, Jim 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved             
 - I am linked with Magaly in Friday writing #82 with 269 words of Prose with a four-word Title/Greeting] at       https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2023/06/friday-writings-82-favorite-books.html 
 - Note that I opted not to us her prompt which would have been a lovely writing experience for me.  This is new and never used before, but helped me to work off a small grudge.
.. 

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Friday, June 23, 2023 12:13:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Well one of you is wrong! Sonnets are supposed to be 14 lines, not 18. But nowadays there are many wonderful variations on the form, including some shorter than 14 lines, which still somehow manage to deserve the name sonnet. You could tell your brother he's being old-fashioned!

 
At Friday, June 23, 2023 1:23:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

You will be 90 Oh Jim than you are doing really weel despite a some memory loss. I had bad short term memory all my life and a naming problem on top of it because of learning disabilities like dyspraxia and dysnomia so I know its frustrating.

 
At Friday, June 23, 2023 2:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very tender write methinks - I found this quite touching on the whole journey of life, twinned cleverly with the latitude in your writing challenges. Very original and telling...

 
At Friday, June 23, 2023 8:33:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

Ah … the memory is a challenge, indeed, and writing helps. No matter the topic, your approach has always seemed so youthful and buoyant that I am very surprised to hear you are ninety.

 
At Friday, June 23, 2023 9:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Helen: it takes a huge amount of courage to expose so much of ourselves ~~ you manage it with dignity and calm. Bravo.

 
At Saturday, June 24, 2023 12:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

90? I am a Libran too but not quite 90. You are doing really well. I am glad Marja mentioned your age because when I reread your poem I could not find it...thought I must be hallucinating:)

 
At Saturday, June 24, 2023 9:17:00 PM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Rigid form hardly matters as much as the satisfaction you are still getting doing poetry, pushing through the challenges. Bravo.

 
At Sunday, June 25, 2023 8:32:00 AM, Blogger jossina said...

That was so brave Jim ,may you still continue to write with better health 👍

 
At Sunday, June 25, 2023 11:08:00 AM, Blogger dsnake1 said...

Forget about rigid forms, Jim. You are doing well writing in your humor-infused style.

 
At Tuesday, June 27, 2023 11:40:00 PM, Blogger vanderloost said...

Your optimism is like your cane. You lose it then you regain. That is most important. Age is just a number. Agility is more a mental state. Humour is what pushes us through dreariest of days. It's sure you'll enjoy the vastness of life as always.

 
At Sunday, July 09, 2023 4:45:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Sorry to read of the COVID complications. Sorry, too, that you felt a need to delete your comments on my blog. Very few things are worse than censorship, even self-censorship.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home