Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Gambling - a Poem for dVerse and Friday Writings



     A night not so good 

    Broke but I played with 
    big boys anyway 
    About halfway through 
    night I panicked 
    luck was so so 
    not running real good 
    Why did I panic 
    bad my kind of luck 

    Fellow with cigar 

    he hollered real loud 
    his words not what 
    I wanted to hear 
   "Time to pony up 
    boys, it's pockets out"
    at that time I was 
    down nine hundred bucks  
    only had ten cents 
    IOUs were due 
    fellow with cigar 
    had been winning all 
    night, some others too 
    Ended up hocking 
    my gold watch and my 
    false teeth to Andy 

    Their interest was high 
    ten times bank charges 
    but I was lucky to keep  
    lucky to keep my 
    shoes and underwear 

    Hey friend, a few bucks
    I'm getting hungry 
    and out of the game 

    That bad night seemed long 
    But was cut way short 
 _ _ _ 

- Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
- I am linked with  in Poetics  at dVerse,
*Click here to visit other writers on the "animals as a verb" prompt, my word, "pony" associated with the word "up" means 'pay your debt now' 

 - I am also linked with Magaly of the Friday Writings #79,   
 - Her prompt idea is "to write poetry or prose inspired by an unfinished project.   My unfinished project that came to mind was to clean up the mess in the garage and in the second downstairs bedroom with was dedicated to being my 'office' but turned out to be junk room for my surpluses and things I needed to sort through.  
 - Since Friday Writing allows other previous work, I am opting out for now.  My opening first two lines would have been: 
        "How do you make a mess 
          Answer is, "You don't" 
I may write about that some other day, it looked like a fun project in itself.  But I am using this poem as it didn't get the reading that I had hoped for on last Tuesday, May 30, with the dVerse group.  I had linked it up using the wrong address and didn't discover this until later the next day when I had no comments.  I repaired it but was expecting several other with whom I had read their poems and left comments on them.  
..

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At Thursday, June 01, 2023 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

"Time to pony up
boys, it's pockets out"
Nice one Jim.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Much💖love

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2023 3:33:00 AM, Blogger Selma said...

hocked the false teeth, huh? So it's either ivory or gold, then. Wow, some night,,, I would have pony-ied out of there sooner. I'm a scaredy cat, you see. It was a fun read, Jim. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2023 4:16:00 AM, Blogger sarah said...

Great voice - you've really captured a character here. And a great response to the prompt.

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2023 5:59:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Nice one, JIm!

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2023 7:20:00 AM, Anonymous Melissa Lemay said...

Good one!

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2023 9:09:00 AM, Anonymous ben Alexander said...

Poor Jim! 🙃

(well written though!)

All best,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com

 
At Thursday, June 01, 2023 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous AJ said...

What a night Jim - glad you made it through 🙌

 
At Friday, June 02, 2023 4:57:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I think an experience like that might be a blessing if it acted as a warning. I am rather biased against gambling, as my first (brief) marriage was to a compulsive gambler. I never was a gambler myself, but that experience would have put me off for life anyway.

 
At Friday, June 02, 2023 10:11:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

There have been many gambling ads lately, especially during sports games on television. Your poem would make the perfect intro for those ads to set people straight before they lose their cash and teeth!!

 
At Friday, June 02, 2023 12:43:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Gambling can turn into a monster that eats everything if one isn't careful. I guess keeping one's undies and life can be seen as lucky. Still, dangerous game... gambling.

 
At Saturday, June 03, 2023 9:01:00 AM, Blogger vanderloost said...

It was funny and you were lucky to get through

 
At Saturday, June 03, 2023 9:44:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

It was just not the subject's night was it? I never got the allure of gambling though. I'd rather spend my money on tea and know I was going to get my dollars' worth.

 
At Saturday, June 03, 2023 10:09:00 AM, Anonymous Rajani said...

"it's pockets out"... smiling at that line... instantly imagined one of those card dens from an old movie!

 
At Saturday, June 03, 2023 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Love the vivid descriptions of how it felt 'losing your shirt' ... thinking I should ante up, grab a seat, play a few rounds with you. I feel like lady luck is on my side today.

 
At Monday, June 05, 2023 10:34:00 PM, Blogger paeansunplugged said...

Good one, Jim! I enjoyed reading it.

 
At Tuesday, June 06, 2023 8:40:00 AM, Blogger dsnake1 said...

I used to play poker and in one of the games, it wiped me out, and the good thing is I knew when to stop. I have not play poker since, and I switch to social mahjong, where it is more social interaction than gambling. And even that I stopped too (at least for now, i really love the game, it exercises the mind) because you need 4 persons to play it. I guess writing poetry and art takes your mind off these things. :)

 
At Wednesday, June 07, 2023 7:15:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Good one, Jim. I like your use of pony.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home