Saturday, May 20, 2023

Horses with tales and tails -- a "Tribute to Minnie Poem #2" for the Sunday Muse

                    "Click on Picture" for larger View

                A Horse Tale 

        When I was young, it seems perhaps 
        Perhaps I grew up on a horse 
        Horses were in my small family 
        We had four horses and four folks 

        Probably when a little kid I rode 
        Riding "my" horse behind my dad 
        The four were Bell, Bird, Bess, and Min  
        Mom rode Minnie, Dad rode Bessy 

        And soon I was riding Minnie 
        Rode her in the field cutting burrs 
        And when I went to high school 
        I rode Minnie there, joined some more 

        The barn held six, Min was seven 
        Tied her to a tree for the day 
       'Neath a shade tree for her to rest 
        That fall one left, Min had a stall 

        At the corner three girls would join 
        One on a bike, two with horses 
        I taught Minnie to jump small streams 
        We rode in rain and snow, three miles 

        Grade eleven I went to town 
        Finished high school Min was alone 
        Can't remember how Minnie fared 
        She was there I left for college 

        When I was grown ponies I bought 
        In my garage right now, Mustangs 
        Ponies are old, antiques to care 
        These horses would drink gasoline 

        Mom's ride will be fifty next year 
        My retirement gift twenty-five 

                    "Click on Picture" for larger View

 _ _ _ 

 - Bottom Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2005 (https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2005/12/me-and-my-buddy-me-and-my-buddy-we.html ) and 2023, All Rights Reserved  
 - I am linked with Carrie for top Photo prompt, at the Sunday Muse #260 (this was to be the last Sunday Muse but there will be one more),    
 - In remembrance, Shay, a co-host chose this horse for Sunday Muse #82 (URL), I was not writing with the Muse group back then 
 - This will be a "tribute" to Minnie, the second, it is all true, she was a wonderful horse. (Tribute to Minnie #1)  I don't know her end of life,  I may write another Horse Tale for my growing up, there were several more in my life.  And there would be a line, two or more, of Minnie.  Her ride with Dad to town, seven miles one way, in a BLIZZARD, roads closed, to get Mom some medicine.
 .. 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Saturday, May 20, 2023 2:30:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

What wonderful memories Jim! You have lived such a colorful life my friend!

 
At Saturday, May 20, 2023 8:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now you ride a steel horse. Interesting story and tribute.

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2023 8:50:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

Love the memories. I would have loved watching people ride horses up to pretty much any school in the morning.

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2023 10:41:00 AM, Anonymous Ange (AJ) said...

Great memories beautifully captured 💞

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2023 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I smiled at the switch from horses to cars. Nice one, Jim. Lovely to grow up with horses.

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2023 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Keith's Ramblings said...

Such happy times. Simply delightful, Jim.

 
At Sunday, May 21, 2023 2:01:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

Love the pony cars!! Need a photo of you asleep on the hood, LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home