Friday, April 14, 2023

April -- NaPoWriMo 2023 Day 14 -- and Kilmer's Tree -- a Poem for Friday Writings

  "Horse Apple Tree" -- Copyright Jimmiehov 2006
                [Click photo to enlarge]            

        Teacher's Way

Teacher said, write a poem due Friday 
So I wrote my heart out that evening
Didn't tell my mom, no help wanted    

I used most all I'd learned in Grammar 
Knew not poetry writing was taught 
Mine showing sentences diagrammed  

That wasn't how the teacher wanted 
She liked nursery rhymes and songs to sing 
Monday morning we compared to trees 

Learned of Joyce Kilmer--tree was a poem 
Learned, grammar is nothing like a tree 
Learned poetry is more fun to write 

Learned "I think I shall never see a Poem ... " 
Learned, I think, how to use 'Metaphors" 
                 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2006 and 2018 (photo) and 2023 (poem) Respectively,  All Rights Reserved 
 - Photo was previously posted Sunday, August 06, 2006 (Adi and Jonah's trees)
 - And January 18, 2018 (Plant a Tree for Grandmother) 

 - I am linked with Rosemary at the Friday Writings #72,     
 - Rosemary has invited us to write about writing: either write a poem about writing poetry, or tell us a story about story-telling 
 -  I am also linked with Day Fourteen, NaPoWriMo, where we were instructed to write a Parady or Satire of a Famous Sonnet Poem, As you can see, I did not follow this prompt instruction which is optional, but I did use a famous poem to ???

 - "0⁰"     How did I get this "0⁰"?  
.. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Friday, April 14, 2023 12:02:00 AM, Anonymous Rajani said...

grammar is nothing like a tree... yes!! agree!! made me smile! that is a line that can inspire a poem!

 
At Friday, April 14, 2023 12:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool poem, Jim :)

 
At Friday, April 14, 2023 12:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me, ladyleemanila ;)

 
At Friday, April 14, 2023 1:09:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Do all children get that poem to learn, or was it only our generation? Perhaps it's true we shall never see ... but it gives us something to aspire to. I enjoyed this glimpse into schoolboy Jim, and I'm glad of whatever had you start to play with poetry.

 
At Friday, April 14, 2023 8:54:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

Writing poems really is an inside job even though we learn from others! I can imagine a young boy taking the teacher's task to heart and wanting to do it all on his own. :)

 
At Friday, April 14, 2023 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I wrote a poem once copying Kilmer's Tree style ... about Shrove Tuesday and Pancakes. So much fun channeling him. I think you are ready to channel him too.

 
At Saturday, April 15, 2023 12:16:00 AM, Blogger vanderloost said...

Learned grammar is nothing like a tree. Yes there's more to learn about poetry as we go on writing.

 
At Sunday, April 16, 2023 7:45:00 AM, Blogger dsnake1 said...

"grammar is nothing like a tree" - such wisdom only comes from age and experience. I wasn't really interested in poetry in school. More of drawing and painting. :)

 
At Sunday, April 16, 2023 9:35:00 AM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

The ways people (try to) teach poetry in school...!

 
At Monday, April 17, 2023 3:57:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Monday, April 17, 2023 3:58:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Grammar is certainly nothing like a tree. It's more like a terrifying, ever-changing monster (we can grow to love),

 

Post a Comment

<< Home