Wednesday, April 19, 2023

April -- NaPoWriMo 2023 Day 19 -- a Poem of Scares, then and now


My sister sewing up Adi's (my Beagle dog) Teddy Bear 
[click on the picture for a larger size]

        Scary Things 

There's two scary things in my life 
There's one for my little sister 
one for me, both tamed, still around 

Monster Boogie Man honored well 
To this day Sis peeks 'neath her bed 
Knowing he's not there peeks in case 

She was about five, makes me ten 
I told about that monster 
Boogie Man hides 'neath children's beds 

Seems all my life but not really 
Still go to sleep with dim light on 
Since I was young not liked the dark 

Had my sister walk me at night
Outhouse in back of chicken house 
Young, I was afraid of the dark 

I'd bribe her, let her hold the light 
Remains a small guilt 'cause I told  
            _ _ _ 

 - I am linked with NaPoWriMo, National Poetry Writing Month, Day 19.  We were requested to write casting "your mind back to your own childhood and write a poem about something that scared you – or was used to scare you – and which still haunts you (if only a little bit) today."  

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 19, 2023 1:32:00 PM, Blogger paeansunplugged said...

Oh, Jim! You took me back to my childhood. My younger brother was afraid of the dark and insist I accompany him across the courtyard to the other room.

 
At Wednesday, April 19, 2023 5:31:00 PM, Blogger . said...

That revived some memories. When we slept at my grams, I had to accompany my little niece....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home