Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Kissed and Not Told, until Now -- -- a Poem for dVerse Poetics

At the corner ahead is the famous Beatles' corner, Abbey Road


     Kiss Mood Change;
"It's been a long time coming";
since you asked, 70 years ago 

A cool evening for a date, 
    light jackets were in order 
Picked her up oh so promptly 
    at her apartment uptown 
Her name was "Avery" tonight, 
    real name I have forgotten 

Presumtively written here 
My modus operandi 
All I know my Dad's pickup 
    Twas fall, we worked together 
We had parked away from lights 
    parked in the dark, still, we talked 

I remember sitting close 
    Nothing more until we kissed 
That kiss, I'll never forget 
    Expectations I will guess 
Hers I suppose, mine would be 
    Close and warm, lips together 
All that had to be, my guess 

What came next I remember 
    I won't forget my feeling 
My brow met "Avery's" glasses 
    New to me and just this once  
Surprised, glasses new to me,  
  a no no for necking girls?

I am sure I acted nice and 
    was not showing my surprise 
We never dated again 
    I'm not sure why, she was nice 
This kiss is the only one, 
    kiss that I can remember 

And now you know 
 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2011* and 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - *I first used this photo on May 5, 2011
 - I'm linked with Rommy who is posting the Friday Writings #65 at 
 - Rommy has invited us to write what comes to mind when we see the phrase, “it’s been a long time coming.”
 - I'm also linked with Kim at dVerse Poetics
 - To read other's writings, click here 
 - Kim wants us to write, her "challenge is to write a poem about kissing, a special kiss that still haunts you, a peck, a snog, a kiss hello or a kiss goodbye. Whatever it is, try to capture the wordless intimacy of the act." 
 - We continued to work together but not for long.  I was drafted into the U.S. Army; that was long ago.  In case you wonder, this really is the ONLY kiss that I can remember.  No other specific kisses.  
.. 

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, February 23, 2023 5:26:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

Nice memory Jim. Enjoyed this one.

 
At Friday, February 24, 2023 1:33:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

A pleasant memory One to cherish set in a pleasant poem

 
At Friday, February 24, 2023 7:01:00 AM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

Oh, that first kiss is memorable. In the dark. Glasses definitely have to come off!!

 
At Friday, February 24, 2023 7:39:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

You set the scene so perfectly that it was easy to imagine the cold feel of those glasses against your face. It made me smile. :)

 
At Friday, February 24, 2023 6:14:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Hmmm, I don't think it ever occurred to me to take off my glasses. Not for those early kisses in parked cars anyway. I don't remember anyone ever complaining, but I think the boys were probably nearly as shy and awkward as I was. A sweet story you told us, Jim.

 
At Saturday, February 25, 2023 10:33:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

There is no way I could ever forget the names of my first kissers ... I am sorry you have. Glasses removed from one of them ... Miles. Last name omitted to protect the innocent.

 
At Sunday, February 26, 2023 6:54:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

Reminds me of my first kiss with my husband. LOL, now I have reading glasses too, so it's a bit fairer.

 
At Monday, February 27, 2023 6:19:00 AM, Blogger jossina said...

This is so cute

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2023 7:08:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Wonderful depiction of a first kiss!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home