Friday, February 17, 2023

The Golf Game, or was it - a Write for Friday Writings

A part of my former Tuesday Morning Golf Group
 
  My Game of Golf; and Experience of a Lifetime 

    Today I was approached by the folk at the Olympics in process.  They invited me to join the U.S.A. Men's Golf Team at the spur of the moment.  A member of the team had become violently ill and was unable to play in competitions on-going.  And the backup player had circumstances developing which he must deal with and would also be unable to compete. 

    It didn't take long for me to accept even though I afterwards had several situations in my playing that had to be dealt with.  First was whether or not I could ride a cart and get close with it up to the greens. Also flying that handicap flag allowed me to take the cart onto the fairways for the par three holes. I was 89 years old, that and my artificial knee had allowed the cart privilege in regular and tournament play. 

    Next came my physical readiness, I had not played golf for seven years after experiencing pain in my knee each time I played, the pain lasted the next day and part of the third day as well. Could I adapt my swing so not to turn my left knee while hitting the ball? 

    Another thing, I was way out of practice. Back when I played my handicap was in the twenties, definitely not in the regular competition range. But they needed me today, I would play alone until I caught the group. I should get a new wardrobe and shoes, but probably what I had would make do. 

    I said, “Yes, I would play, right after lunch.” 

    I didn't know right away when I woke up, it all seemed so real. But obviously it was a dream, a very enjoyable dream. 

    And finally in the dream, they asked me to feel out the Mrs. to see if she would serve as a backup for the ladies.  When I told her, still in my dreams, of my experiences she took the invitation under consideration.  Even after I told her of the preposterous dream that I had the night before, she said she would.  Then she laughed.  

    I hope that another day this dream will continue, I would like to see how things turned out. 
 _ _ _ _ 

 - 369 Words, the maximum allowed for Friday Writings 
 - Photo and Write Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022 (link) and 2023, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Magaly at Friday Writings #64, at 
     https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/
 - Magaly has invited us to write poetry or prose inspired by the following Neil Gaiman quote: “Life is always going to be stranger than fiction, because fiction has to be convincing, and life doesn’t.” 
..

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Friday, February 17, 2023 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

Hi Jim ah you enjoy a game of Golf One of our best friends play golf and they go around places in NZ to play now. To play is very cheap in NZ In Holland it used to be an elite sport. I tried it once but was no good. lol

 
At Friday, February 17, 2023 1:36:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a delightful dream! When I was a kid I used to give myself what I called serial dreams. As I went off to sleep, I would recall the dream I had the night before and think about where it left off and what might come next ... and sure enough it would continue on that night in the next dream, after I slipped into sleep. You might give it a try, LOL!

 
At Friday, February 17, 2023 6:16:00 AM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Oops think I lost my comment, got some weird error... Jim, hope your dream comes true and things turn out great!!! Even in Dream-part 2.

 
At Friday, February 17, 2023 8:25:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

What a fantastic vivid dream! On occasion I have had a dream that I did not want to wake from because it was so delicious and so real.

 
At Friday, February 17, 2023 1:32:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

What a fantastic dream! I can feel in each sentences just how enjoyable it was, and you took us to enjoy it with you. I so hop that it does continue. And if it does, you must tell us what happens next!

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2023 7:17:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

I love it when I have dreams like that. LOL, maybe not about golf specifically, but doing something I enjoy with people who are as enthusiastic about it as I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home