Saturday, September 10, 2022

Table Games - a Poem for Sunday Muse

 .

 
We are flying our home flag today for her
U.S. America is flying our flags half mast in tribute to Queen Elizabeth III 
  
.
A Lagniappe #1:  Our friends from Towcester, Northamptonshire, England,
[our flag]
 invited us to watch with them for the passing of Queen Elizabeth on her way to open Parliament.  "We didn't see the little mouse but we did see the Queen
 I tell people that she waved to me.  She was in her carriage on her way to address Parliament on their opening day.   Just our luck, I had brought my camera but wouldn't you know on this particular day I left the battery at the flat in its charger. 
"So this picture I did not take but rather it is a British press release photo which I photographed with my camera. . . " (Read more and see more of our London of Spring 2012 holiday here.
Note:  We also saw her, coming out in her Land Rover from the Balmoral Castle, we were going in and so we pulled to the side while she was passing us.   Mrs. Jim and I liked her a lot, as many times as we have been to the U.K., she seemed to us as our Queen also.  May she RIP.
_ _ _ _ 
 

     Playing Chess 

He played in the light 
but near the shadow 
Mentor staying close 
Standing close watching, 
or in player's mind 
He had taught him well   

Mentor city champ, 
his student was good 
Could beat his mentor, 
one of three games 
Sophomore in college 
A senior in chess 

Skipping class for chess 
Studied not, dropped out 

Note:  That student was me, the author here.  Finally after eleven years I went back to college, night school.  Eleven more years in 1975 I graduated with three degrees.  I haven't played even ten games of chess since my dropout. I do plan to play again when I go into assisted living.  I've been retired 21 years now. 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022 , All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Carrie for the Photo Prompt, at the Sunday Muse #227,  
.. 

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Saturday, September 10, 2022 1:29:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

I truly enjoyed this Jim. It is funny how life can be. You certainly did do well for yourself and I am sure you will do well at chess when you are playing friends later in your retirement. It is a blessing that you have enjoyed many years of retirement. I hope to do the same.

 
At Saturday, September 10, 2022 1:53:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I find the trajectory of your life really interesting ... Hoping it's not time for Assisted living, my Friend.

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2022 7:29:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

That Paddington image slips right under the skin and the chess poem just blew me away.

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2022 3:43:00 PM, Anonymous Sunra Rainz said...

Fascinating, Jim! And then you did three degrees! I wonder what they were in? I love the Paddington cartoon with the Queen :-)

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2022 8:32:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Nice reminiscences.

I am no good at chess, haven't the patience. I always want to play it like checkers!

 
At Monday, September 12, 2022 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

Jim, I enjoyed every part of your post. Thank you for taking the time to put it together. Have you seen the netflix series, "The Queen's Gambit"? Just wondered what a chess player thinks of it as far as accuracy.

 
At Monday, September 12, 2022 3:38:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of the queen. I have never played chess. I haven't the concentration nor the patience to play.

 
At Wednesday, September 14, 2022 7:18:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I am glad you shared the fact that this is personal. I never learned chess,
but at this stage, I would not have the patience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home