Monday, September 12, 2022

Mom's Garden - a Piece of Prosery for dVerse

from "How to Grow and Care for Sweet Alyssum" (URL
photo, "The Spruce" / Kara Riley

“I’d like, too, to plant the sweet alyssum that smells like honey and peace.” from the poem, “What I would like to grow in my Garden.” / Katherine Riegel (URL

 - - - - - - - - - - 

 Mom found me out behind the chicken house, playing with my toys. She said to me, “Come see. 'I’d like, too, to plant the sweet alyssum that smells like honey and peace.'  Dad said you'd like to help.”  What was I to say, of course I would.   

 Living on a farm, Mom had a large, beautiful garden.  She grew vegetables, strawberries, rhubarb, most years some flowers.  We'd eat some ripe fruits fresh right there, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, melons, could be more.  

 She wanted patches of pretty flowers, lavender and white ones, all around the garden.  We dug, planted seeds and covered them and sprinkled water onto the new looking soil, finishing just before dark.   

 That was good for Mom a bit, big life change for me.  From that day on I was the garden helper, from then until I left home for college. 
_ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved  
 - I am linked with Sanaa at Prosery, dVerse,  her prompt line is above and posted at  
 - Click here for others writing Prosery Flash Writing this week.  I wrote exactly 144 Words, the Maxim that Sanaa has posted 
 - This Writing is TRUE in a way; the difference is that I was enticed to help milk cows instead of helping Mother in her garden.  But I did help, hoeing and weeding and harvesting for sure.  
..

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Monday, September 12, 2022 5:36:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Nice one Jim

Much💛love

 
At Monday, September 12, 2022 6:25:00 PM, Blogger Nitin said...

Very beautiful. I liked this a lot.

 
At Monday, September 12, 2022 7:47:00 PM, Blogger Mish said...

Sounds like some great memories.

 
At Monday, September 12, 2022 9:06:00 PM, Blogger K.Hartless said...

Yes. What a wonderful role to fill.

 
At Monday, September 12, 2022 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

This is a great story, Jim! I love the nostalgia of it all!

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2022 5:26:00 AM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

A lovely story, Jim. I like that it is based in truth. Your love for your mother shines through.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2022 12:53:00 PM, Blogger rogblog666 said...

beautiful

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2022 2:34:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

This is sweet, tender and every wonderful I know you remember ... me too.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2022 2:48:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

How nice to be a gardener... i hope you brought some of it into adulthood

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2022 2:49:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is gorgeously rendered, Jim. Thank you so much for writing to the prompt 💖💖

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2022 2:51:00 PM, Blogger Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I miss gardening. I keep trying to get back to it but this, that, and the other get in my way. I'll have to grow plants that don't require much maintenance. Nice use of the prompt!

 
At Friday, September 16, 2022 11:00:00 AM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

Such ordinary things become such cherished memories <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home