Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Weekly Scribblings Poem -- Charmed Life Still?

"Sixteen years ago, one of my 
literary heroes took his life in . . . 
Hunter S. Thompson -- leg broken, 
ill, and depressed -- left a note.
'This won't hurt,' he wrote." 
Michael Lindenberger, see excerpt below

“Dying is easy, young man; 
     living is harder”  
   (Hamilton quote # 1 below )

Living is harder 
I can attest to that 
Getting old is hard

Getting out of bed in the morning 
That takes first getting your balance 
After you sit up on the edge of the bed 
Got to watch the first step 
It may not go straight ahead 

Or you could bump into the wall 
The wall won't move so you gotta 
Steer around that corner with care 
You body may still want to go straight 
First hold onto the door jam a bit 
And when you've aimed your body 
That's when you head for the pot 
Or commode or Loo or WC or John 
What you call it, 
  what-cha-ma-call-it 
Young ones always 
come up with best 

Making your own breakfast 
Will take your cake, use sense 
(you might be the lucky one 
and have this done for you)
Now where did I put
my favorite skillet last night 
Still on the stove 
Why did I not wash it
when I was finished . . .

That was just the beginning 
of my day, it drags on 
and on 

Living when one is old 
can be so bad 
Lonely, slightly ill or/and crippled  
eyes and ears not working well 
lonely, lonesome right now 
seemingly working all the time at home 
just to stay alive 
(at least until my money source runs to dry to 
pay the bills) 

[click photo for larger viewing, 
click again for "+" viewing] 
photo of partial Houston Chronicle, 
February 20, 2021, page A13 

Author Note:
I didn't know that "Gonzo had died, 16 years ago.  I have read some of his work, his book, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," was my favorite.  Perhaps I'll read it again soon in memory.   

The article stated that his note included Thompson "that he was 17 years past age 50, which is all he'd expected."  I myself tell folk that I  am ready to die as I've done everything I need to do and most of the things that I've wanted to do. 

I'd like for you, especially if you like me, identify with him in age and feelings, to be able to read the whole article.  I'll try to work that out for you.   Mrs. Jim says we shared driving methods and habits.

Some of my readers, you who put up with me and humor me to an extent and who live in the Houston area can read the article at your local library.
 _ _ _ _ 


 - Poem and Photo Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 
 - Rommy asked us to create new poetry or prose inspired by one (or all) of the following Hamilton quotes:
1. “I’m looking for a mind at work.” 
2. “History has its eyes on you.” 
3. “Talk less. Smile more.” 
4. “Dying is easy, young man. Living is harder.” 
5. “Love doesn’t discriminate between the sinners and the saints.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 03, 2021 11:33:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

I find Hunter rode with "Hells' Angels" for a year abd write a book about them. That sounds intriguing. A Google search reveals the article you mentioned. I identify with your scenario of aging. It's definitely not for wimps!

 
At Wednesday, March 03, 2021 5:27:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Growing old is very annoying except the alternative of dying which is worse.

 
At Wednesday, March 03, 2021 6:19:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I am loathe to admit this .... but you are right about the aging thing. Dead right.

 
At Wednesday, March 03, 2021 6:22:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I'm afraid I never took to Thompson's writing style, so didn't persevere to read much of him. I'm doing my best to stay as healthy as possible into my octogenarian years. Yes, I too have had a very fulfilling life; that doesn't mean I'm ready to end it yet!

 
At Wednesday, March 03, 2021 7:59:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Can't say I like his writing style but I empathize with anyone who is not well and has very little help - and depression is a truly evil thing - it robs one of life (even if one doesn't commit suicide)

 
At Friday, March 05, 2021 2:52:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I agree, Jim, getting old is hard, especially when you still feel sixteen at heart. It never ceases to shock me when I can’t stand on one leg, or even lift my leg! And you are right about the clumsiness – I keep finding bruises but have no idea how I got them.

 
At Friday, March 05, 2021 1:27:00 PM, Blogger Jenna said...

I really enjoyed this; good response to the prompt!

 
At Sunday, March 07, 2021 6:10:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

Time comes for us all. But hopefully we do enough things in the time we're given that we have a lot of happiness to look back on at the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home