Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Weekly Scribblings Poem ~~ Grandpa my Model



My Grandpa H 

Grandpa was my favorite 
He said I was his as well 
He wore a hat and a scarf 
High top work shoes Overalls 

Grandma was favorite too 
She was mild very refined 
She was a school teacher ex 
Retired got along with kids 

Grandpa was the man to be 
When I grew up I wanted 
Wanted to be just like him 
Always had something going 

He was rough around the edge 
Cussed used words I couldn't say 
Never the Lord's name in vain 
Not vulgar still not for me 

We'd go for rides in his truck 
His stud horse was in the back 
Grandpa's horses were good stock 
For his cars he liked Buicks  

There were nine of us cousins 
We were first at the table 
Grandpa said woodbox* for us 
We wondered was he teasing? 

Celebrated fifty years 
Grandpa wanted cocktails 
Grandma said there would be none 
Grandpa's bar down in the barn 

And when we grew up 
I laid claim to be 
Most like my Grandpa 


*Woodbox, a wooden box holding firewood for the kitchen cook stove
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem and Photo Copyright,  Jimmiehov 2021 and 2016 https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2016/09/fridays-hunt-v210-j-is-for.html?m=1) , All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Rosemary for writing her prompt, see below,  at Weekly Scribblings  #55 https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2021/01/weekly-scribblings-55-what-you-resist.html
 - Rosemary invited us "to write about turning into one of (our) parents – or about resisting that possibility."

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 03, 2021 5:31:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

He sounds like a bloke worth emulating. Grandparents fill such an important role.

 
At Wednesday, February 03, 2021 5:38:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Often with relations we are more comfortable with them rather than parents because they become a respite from our normal lives. Caring for us but with no chance of admonishment!

 
At Wednesday, February 03, 2021 7:19:00 AM, Blogger Ron. said...

I have no recollection of any of my grands. Given my relationship with my parents (especially my father), that's probably a good thing.

 
At Wednesday, February 03, 2021 11:04:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

HA! Many a church-going farmer had a stash in the barn, I suspect!

 
At Wednesday, February 03, 2021 12:13:00 PM, Blogger Brother Ollie said...

That is pretty solid right from the first line.

 
At Wednesday, February 03, 2021 3:26:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I so enjoyed reading this, Jim. A wonderful write!

 
At Thursday, February 04, 2021 5:03:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I so relate to this, Jim. My grandmother was a Sunday school teacher and my granddad was the best.

 
At Friday, February 05, 2021 11:34:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I like the last stanza. I can practically see the self-satisfaction through the words. :-)

 
At Saturday, February 06, 2021 1:09:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Really enjoyed this piece, Jim!

 
At Saturday, February 06, 2021 8:42:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

To be surrounded by relatives on both sides is a blessing and to have day to day interaction with Grandparents is GOLDEN. Sweet poem.

 
At Sunday, February 07, 2021 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

Your admiration for him really shines through

 

Post a Comment

<< Home