Saturday, February 13, 2021

Sunday Muse Poem -- Horse Race


"Indigo Sky Mares"  
by Laurel Burch 

Pick a Good Pony 

Two different breeds they get along just fine 
Both mares with excellent trainers 
Taller one sets the pace for many laps 
Shorter one oft comes from behind 
Put your money on each you'll be ahead 
But not to win rather to place 
Bite your nails until the very finish 

A lesson here that I've learned the hard way  
Winners need not be the first but they show 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Carrie Van Horn for "Indigo Sky Mares" Artwork prompt, at the Sunday Muse #147http://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/2021/02/sunday-muse-147.html?m=1 
 - Note:  I have never ever been to a horse race, car races yes, nor have I bet money on a horse.    I do watch them on TV, I also sometimes pick up a lottery ticket but I do not bet on the horses.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, February 13, 2021 3:19:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I like this ... unlike you I have wagered more than a time or two at the track.

 
At Saturday, February 13, 2021 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Reminds me of going to watch horse races with my grandma waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 1950's at a dusty little race track in a small town nearby.

 
At Saturday, February 13, 2021 6:47:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

I've been to Churchill Downs, never to the Derby. I always bet the jockey, not the horse. Women. Go figure!

 
At Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:01:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

Nice take on the image Jim! Stay safe this week with the winter storm.

 
At Saturday, February 13, 2021 7:12:00 PM, Blogger ms_lili said...

Great metaphor. Just showing (up) means a lot.
Li/Lisa@tao-talk

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2021 8:18:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

Oh, this took me right back to my grandpa and Uncle Bob talking about heading to the track or gossiping about it afterwards. :)

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Truedessa said...

To place or show you need not always win. I hope everything went well for you this week!

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Other Mary said...

Ah, that's excellent advice. Win, place, or show - they're all in the money.

 
At Sunday, February 14, 2021 8:33:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

LOL! I don't bet much on horses, but you have it right.

 
At Tuesday, February 16, 2021 7:46:00 AM, Blogger Tanza Erlambang said...

beautiful words....
encouragement sentence:"Winners need not be the first but they show."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home