Friday, February 01, 2019

a Poem telling of a little Red Fox who is near me

The Fox under my Porch

A little red fox lives under my porch
We seldom have a personal visit
Seems to be that he is more shy than me

But he drinks the water I bring to him
Even though hardly ever I give food
He stays plenty plump living in the burbs

Come December or so his wife will come
Then in spring when she is hot they will mate
Seven weeks a new generation comes

Life would be dull for him but for my dog
Beagle she is her genes say chase and hunt
They run and play the game, she will not win  

     (Written with thanks to my Text Book Teacher,
     Poet Ted Kooser. His Website, http://tedkooser.net/)
_ _ _ _

 - Photos and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights reserved (photo is a "Print Screen" copy, see my link below of these poems of Ken Kooser's work).
 - I'm linked with
 
 - Kerry would like for us to write honoring our favorite contemporary poet, perhaps deceased, as is Mary Oliver, or living.  I would like to credit Ted Kooser for help with my writing.  He is now a Professor of Poetry at the University Nebraska, was the 13th Poet Laureate of the United States, and has won a Pulitzer Prize for his poetry.
 - My writing here does not do him nor my book of his, The Poetry Home Repair Manual: Practical Advice For Beginning Poets (2005), justice though it has a little of his style.  Wikipedia, Poetry Foundation, or Google 


Above, a couple of Kooser's poems that I like from Poets Foundation, "Ken Kooser" search
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/,?contentId=41842

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Friday, February 01, 2019 7:21:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

You told this tale of the fox so well, I could see it all unfold so clearly in my mind. I thoroughly enjoyed the read. Thank you, Jim.

 
At Friday, February 01, 2019 11:31:00 AM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

A lovely fox tale.. I so love how animals bring such delight and you spoke it well.

 
At Friday, February 01, 2019 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

How lovely to have a fox so near! You were most fortunate to have had the poetry mentor you did. It doesnt get much better than a poet laureate who won a Pulitzer! Wow!

 
At Saturday, February 02, 2019 8:44:00 AM, Blogger annell4 said...

To have a little red fox under the porch, what a wonder!!!

 
At Saturday, February 02, 2019 9:39:00 AM, Blogger Anmol (HA) said...

Ooh, I loved Turkey Vultures — thanks for sharing this poem and its astounding imagery, Jim.
Your own words provide such a lovely tribute — how you built this tale around the red fox is endearing.

 
At Saturday, February 02, 2019 11:44:00 AM, Blogger tonispencer said...

An incredible poem is Turkey Vultures. And your tale of the red fox is wonderful.

 
At Saturday, February 02, 2019 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

One of the things I miss most about living in the country is interacting with wild animal. I bet that seeing the water gone, knowing the fox is happy puts all sorts of smiles on your face. And keeps Ms. Beagle on her toes.

 
At Saturday, February 02, 2019 1:58:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Nine years ago our lot was a rice field or pastureland. Rabbits and alligators are protected because they were here first. They won't be afraid of their shadows because it's been cloudy all day. And only up to 66°F for high. Texas Gulf Coast
..

 
At Saturday, February 02, 2019 2:11:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Adi did find a fox to chase at our other place, in a subdivision about 20 miles north of Houston. They came running from the side into the backyard. Fast. Mrs. Jim yelled, "Adi stop!! She stopped. That is a good trait, to stop a chase upon demand, if the Beagle is to be a good hunting dog.
BTW, in this part of the country post war houses' porches are on the house cement slab.

.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home