Thursday, January 24, 2019

Why do I write? A Poem



Why do I write (poems, and other)

"They" write their hearts out
telling of the ilky life that they share
with pen and keystroke

Some of them, that is,
though others tell of good days
and months and years
Others a cause or complaint

That's them but why do I write? 
Why do I wish to share the words I know,
though mildly limited one-room country 
school words, grades 1 through 10?

Share them on paper and screen,
through the ether and wire they come  
I call them poems, some don't

It's a thing. A thing I do,
a thing I like.  Give me a place where
my endless ink reserve can dry

I have this passion to share,
to have read what I write,
to bring a smile or a frown,
or even a tear

It's what I do in old age,
I write for you who's reading this now,
to share a thought with you  
Or share my silliness

That's it, why I write
 _ _ _ _

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, © 2009 and 2018 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved (Photo originally at http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2009/10/more-futile-thinking-midweek-blues.html )
 - I'm linked with - Susie introduced us to a poet named Jessica Helen Lopez and one of her poems called  her poem, Mama is a Poet.  Read more about it at her link above.  Susie then asked us to write, expressing why we write poetry. 

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:35:00 PM, Blogger tonispencer said...

Good enough reasons to write - to share silliness or grief or joy.

 
At Thursday, January 24, 2019 5:45:00 PM, Blogger WildChild47 said...

if it pleases you?
if it brings you a sense of purpose, to share experiences, ideas, runaway sullenness, or absolute silliness - and it offers you more in return than you ask of it?
then what more can you need?
happy writing and doodling ... :D

 
At Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:51:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

And I am glad you do, Jim.

 
At Sunday, January 27, 2019 10:10:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I think we all have those reasons... silliness or seriousness... it's all about finding the reader I think

 
At Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:52:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Lovely reasons to write...Some of my poetry I wonder why I post it and find it is the one that gets the most response. Thank you so much for taking part in the prompt.

 
At Monday, January 28, 2019 7:44:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

...our endless ink reserve. We poets do have a love affair with words :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home