Tuesday, January 29, 2019

A not so little 'Sticky Poem for Tuesday'


When up was down

When up is down and down is up
Some days that isn't good, some days
it will work.  For sure it isn't all bad because
my doctor says it comes with age  

Trouble is then, that it never
comes when one can enjoy  
Like last night. 'Twas nearing twilight,
about thirty minutes before sunset  

I was walking along the road, near the edge
My feet were down but I wanted them up,
one at a time so I could walk 
That just wasn't working for me 

At first it seemed like gobs of gum or
glue were stuck to the bottoms of my feet
They'd move forward but oh so slowly,
slower than a shuffle was their progression
Practical progress not.

I had to sit down. But where? On the curb
was the only place.  I was quivering
all over my body,  my feet were tingling
Surely somebody would stop, but who?

Never having been robbed,
I wondered what that was like  
Why did I leave my phone with my kin? 
Alone now in their strange land,
that was a dumb thing I had done  

Cars were whooshing by, a few even honked 
None seemed to interpret my waving as
needing help.  Futile.  Oh my.  Finally, nearing 
dark by now, a big black car was stopping 
Could I ride?

They pulled alongside and stopped 
And asked for ID. I had none 
I could never ever expect something
like this would me befall. I tried to explain

They showed a badge but didn't speak
my language. I understood their command,
"Get in the car." Afraid to obey but
more afraid to not I got in their car 
Interrogation and to jail?

I had no idea where they would take me 
A choice I had none. So surprised was I to see
my hosts as the car slowed to a stop 
"Is this him?" those cops asked 

They all helped me walk into the house 
"He'd best go to the Emergency in the 
morning if he still isn't right"  
Right then up was still down and 
there wasn't any glue on my shoes

(Author's note: this is a compilation of happenings I have experienced in my life, except for the glue on my feet. That was my gluing agent for the rest of my story.
 - The police ride happened in Egypt, I was picked up while walking a shipyard road.
 - The walking problem happened in a dream I had Sunday night. It stopped before a logical end.
 - Twice I've had the quivering and  tingling feet, once when a rude bully with road rage got into my face and the other when I tripped and fell in a store.)
_ _ _ _

- Photos and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved (top picture is of the roadside on our return from the Magellan Strait Park ((sic)) in Chile, the bottom is of KP and Mrs. Jim making slime from their new recipe)
- I am linked with Sanaa Rizvi in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-tuesday-platform_29.html?m=1

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:03:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Whoaaa that's quite an experience, Jim!

 
At Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:26:00 AM, Blogger tonispencer said...

Wow. Scary stuff happening.

 
At Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

The combination of those real life events sparked an intriguing piece. I hope you came out OK in all the stories reflected here.

 
At Tuesday, January 29, 2019 3:08:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

I like the way you combined all those different experiences into a horrifying experience that I think we all fear when everything comes together.

 
At Tuesday, January 29, 2019 4:01:00 PM, Blogger annell4 said...

Oh my...it all seems so very scary!! I hope that doesn't happen again...I wonder, do you think maybe next time, you will do it differently?

 
At Wednesday, January 30, 2019 2:41:00 AM, Blogger Sreeja said...

Scary...gluing added to that...!!

 
At Wednesday, January 30, 2019 12:32:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Wow! It seemed real and really scary.

 
At Thursday, January 31, 2019 5:22:00 AM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

What a story. Reminds me of my father-in-law when he found himself in a strange part of town, completely lost. His up was definitely down. Glad the glue part was only a dream. Another reason I will never visit some countries, some where not only do you need a Visa to get in, you need one to get out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home