Thursday, February 08, 2018

Climbing the stairway to ... (a prose poem)


The Stairs to the left went up
 
The stairs to the left went up, to the right it seemed straight down, down as far as eye could see.

They reasoned. Let's you and I go up. Good things seldom come easy but this looks like the way more traveled.

Heading up, the handholds were plentiful.  A few little mice were underfoot but that bothered them not.

Walking most of the morning took its toll, the hikers were tiring.  A mile or so an hour was their best.

Their path narrowed. And it wasn't straight anymore. But the last turn for the morning had a surprise.

So beautiful, sumptuous reds and bright yellows prevailed. Greens and blues surrounded, streaming away from the golden streets.

There was a gate, it looked inviting. There was a hunk guarding that gate but he looked friendly to the touch.

Touching he did, on their foreheads with his hands and with his pole. The pole likened to a fishing pole, it had a hook, sharpened at its end.
Which hook quickly caught each by their collars then thrust bodies directly fronting the gate.

Your names please, they figured he already knew each of those. You're in my book he said. Nice reports written there.

You are passing the tests, just one more thing. Type your passwords on my screen, it's the one given you when you signed up with the righteous.

Fine, fine, all went well.  We are glad you chose our stairs. Welcome to Paradise.  Gabe here will show you your lodging and then show you around a bit.

Paradise for them
They didn't know they were due
Old truck must have crashed
_ _ _ _ _

Photos and Poem Copyright, © 2018 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved  

I'm linked up with Susie Clevenger at The Imaginary Garden, Bits of Inspiration ~ Stairs (Link)

Notes:
My writing is in Haibun form but it doesn't qualify for being a true Haibun poem.  To qualify it should be a three line Haiku, this one is a Senryū.  Also the Prose Poem top part generally are not stories.   How to tell the difference, here.  More on the Haibun, here

The photo at the top is from my 2017 Jim's Hardware calendar, December page.  The truck is a 1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup.  Growing up, our favorite painter drove one like this for his work truck.

The Photo on the bottom is from my 2018 calendar, NAPA Classic Car Calendar, February page.  Here is a link to the car's information and specifications (read here for car specs).


I've ordered this car for Heaven, 
a 1956 Austin-Healy sports car 


Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, February 08, 2018 8:30:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

That's where i will run into trouble. I definitely wont remember my password. Smiles. I enjoyed this, Jim.

 
At Friday, February 09, 2018 1:23:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Nice write Jim, luv the intrigue and the surprise twist at the end. Kind of figured it out a bit thought when you introduced "Gabe"

Happy you dropped by my blog

much love...

 
At Friday, February 09, 2018 1:28:00 AM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Oh no.. I am awful with passwords. I didn't know the truck took you to the gate, but I should have suspected it from the photo. Thanks so much for taking part in the prompt!

 
At Friday, February 09, 2018 5:00:00 AM, Blogger kaykuala said...

My passwords would be forgotten if not of having them in the handphone. And this might not be wise but just can't be helped

Hank

 
At Friday, February 09, 2018 5:35:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

This worries me slightly as I am finding it difficult to climb stairs these days but it is easier going down. Not sure whether to take matches with me or a fire extinguisher...as for my memory! Well I had a good laugh Jim.

 
At Friday, February 09, 2018 8:46:00 AM, Blogger WildChild47 said...

LOL - wholly unexpected this story/tale/poem! Love the idea :)

 
At Friday, February 09, 2018 9:24:00 AM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

I do hope we don't need a password. I might not make it in.

 
At Friday, February 09, 2018 3:13:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

I agree with Sherry... I might pass the tests but would be fried on the password

 
At Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:43:00 AM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

This is wonderful and witty, Jim. I'm with the others on the likelihood of remembering my password.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home