Saturday, May 16, 2015

Can't Do -- a Weekend Mini Challenge poem


It's just me, Lord, Can't Do

Please give me a hand through this day
You know I ain't worth much, Can't Do
Can't do a thing, not do it right

I sing but can't carry a tune
Methodists made me leave their choir
Can't carry a tune, shower calls

I draw but nobody knows what
What I draw they call stick man art  
Can't draw a thing, nothing to paint

I like to work, can't hold a job
Get fired like a stove, cooked goose
Can't hold a job, I work too slow

I like to make love, wives won't stay
They up and leave, now I'm alone
Can't do it right, and I can't learn

I like to eat, can't cook a meal
My eggs are tough, leather-like soles
The biscuits all burn, I can't cook

Lord, I can't do it right, all's wrong
Connect the dots? Can't count or learn
This Can't Do's not worth very much
 _ _ _

Photo and Poem copyright 2015, © jimmiehov, all rights reserved

I'm linked with 

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At Sunday, May 17, 2015 1:37:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Was glad to realise this isn't really you! It's nice and bluesy

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 1:54:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

This has a nice rhythm, I'm sure you can sing it.. Love the blues here.. (Would work for Marian's prompt as well)

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:53:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

A beautiful response to the prompt :D
Well penned my friend :)
xoxo

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:14:00 AM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

This is like a blues song. Agh! The repetition works so well. I especially like the lines about cooking! Thanks, Jim, for participating with this poem. K.

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:27:00 AM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

It IS like a blues song. Wail it, Jim. Very nice.

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

Absolutely feels like a classic blues song. I would like to see this set to music, it already has such a strong rhythm.

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 9:15:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Humor amid depression foreshadows success--at what, I don't know. But this is no way a can't do poem!

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 11:04:00 AM, Blogger De Jackson said...

Love the mournful flow of this.

 
At Sunday, May 17, 2015 7:41:00 PM, Blogger C.C. said...

Well, one thing you can do for sure is write one zinger of a poem to the prompt :-)

 
At Monday, May 18, 2015 8:27:00 AM, Blogger Gail said...

There is value in this lament.

 
At Monday, May 18, 2015 1:32:00 PM, Blogger ZQ said...

Haha been there. I did enjoy the read with a smile.
ZQ

 
At Tuesday, May 19, 2015 11:14:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

This sounds like a spiritual hymn - it should be put to music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home