Sunday, December 28, 2008

One Single Impression: Stardust

Stardust

Engineer in me
won't let me tell how I feel
stardust is dreamy

Engineer in me
makes me tell it like it is
stardust is hooey

Copyright © 2008 Jimmiehov. All Rights Reserved
.

Tag: One Single Impression Stardust
prompted today by Lirone (thank you) Words That Sing
Tag: Jim's OSI
Painting is easy when you don’t know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Dégas
The same goes for my poetry attempts (don't know how, but I enjoy it!).

Notes:
Stardust defined: (
link, the Free Dictionary)
star·dust
play_w2("S0709500")

(stärdst)
n.
1. A dreamlike, romantic, or uncritical sense of well-being.
2. A cluster of stars too distant to be seen individually, resembling a dimly luminous cloud of dust. Not in scientific use.
3. Minute particles of matter that fall to Earth from the stars. Not in scientific use.Idiom:
have stardust in (one's) eyes
To be uncritically or unrealistically optimistic.



Stardust, the song (lyrics) (link)

Singer: Frank Sinatra (
link)
.
Writer(s): hoagy carmichael

Verse:

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that were apart
You wander down the lane and far away
Leaving me a song that will not die
Love is now the stardust
Of yesterday
The music
Of the years
Gone by

Chorus:

Sometimes I wonder why I spend
The lonely nights
Dreaming of a song.
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you.
When our love was new, and each kiss an inspiration.
But that was long ago, and now my consolation
Is in the stardust of a song.
Beside the garden wall, when stars are bright
You are in my arms
The nightingale tells his fairy tale
Of paradise where roses grew.
Though I dream in vain, in my heart you will remain
My stardust melody
The memory of loves refrain.

Stardust, the movie (
link)
.
Directed by:
Matthew Vaughn
Written by Novel:
Neil Gaiman
Screenplay:
Jane GoldmanMatthew Vaughn
Narrated by:
Ian McKellen
Starring:
Charlie Cox, Claire Danes, Ricky Gervais, Rupert Everett, Jason Flemyng, David Walliams, Mark Strong, Peter O'Toole, with Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro
Music by:
Ilan Eshkeri
Cinematography: Ben Davis
Editing by: Jon Harris
Distributed by:
Paramount Pictures
Release date(s): August 10, 2007
Running time: 128 min.
Country United: KingdomUnited States
Language:
English
Budget: $70 million
[1]
Gross revenue: $135,553,806

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

At Sunday, December 28, 2008 12:26:00 AM, Blogger Geraldine said...

I love how you also included this wonderful song classic with your own interpretation of this prompt Jim. I enjoyed reading all of it.

I'm still humming along....

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:40:00 AM, Blogger spacedlaw said...

Fun haikus!

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:55:00 AM, Blogger anthonynorth said...

Enjoyed the humour in these. And a very informative post.

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:05:00 AM, Blogger Jeeves said...

Wow! That was lot said about star dust. Like the first poem a lot.

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The engineer side of you wouldn't be writing these nice poems!

Jim, I used the Oxford american definition of stardust, and wrote about a person. I wonder if anyone will get it? Do you?

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 6:18:00 AM, Blogger SandyCarlson said...

This was fun. Can't engineers dream?

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, fun - I love how the "poet" writes about the "engineer" not getting it!

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Beth P. said...

Jim--
Thank the stars that there are engineers that work for NASA and help us better understand the mechanics of the universe...so that the poet (in you!) can tell the bigger story.

I laughed out loud at your haiku! My software engineer life partner Andy laughed also when I showed him, and nodded his head like he got the joke!

Thanks for all the good stuff here, Jim--
Happy new year to you and Mrs. Jim-

oh, and ontogeny, as regards to my haiku--is about the beginning of a new cycle--does that makes 'sense'?

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:27:00 AM, Blogger sgreerpitt said...

Funny! Isn't it interesting how many of the people who contributed to OSI this week, wrote about the dust of stars (the material building blocks of the universe) rather than about dreamy 'stardust'?

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 2:35:00 PM, Blogger Raven said...

Great post. I love your poems. And Stardust, the movie - GREAT movie... at least I loved it. Happy almost New Year.

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your haikus were a pleasure...and all your info, too!

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 3:29:00 AM, Blogger Edward S Gault said...

Congrats-I couldn't even find the term in my dictionary-but I was using a small paperback edition.
Your haikus were excellent.

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 9:05:00 AM, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I loved reading this post. Totally about stardust!

playing for pleasing the moon

And please do visit Poetry Train being run each Monday!

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 1:48:00 PM, Blogger Quiet Paths said...

Yes, I love the lyrics you included. I have an inkling that this engineer of whom you write has a little corner to himself which is rich in stardust.

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 2:39:00 PM, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Enjoyable post! 'Stardust' is one of my old favorites even though Sinatra isn't. :)

 
At Monday, December 29, 2008 7:46:00 PM, Blogger Linda Jacobs said...

I like how the stardust changes! This whole post is so entertaining!

 
At Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Patois42 said...

Fourwindshaiga is right. You must be a recovering engineer.

 
At Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..great post jim- beautifully engineered poems-a joy to read..& yes~
a very happy new year!..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home