Friday, July 14, 2023

Going Gothic? Gross at Least -- a Poem for dVerse Poetics Day and Friday Writings

   filipendulous 

'twas most embarrassing 
most I've ever been 

hanging from a thin thread 
a big glob of snot 

a thin yellowish thread 
slimy sticky stream 

out from my nose dangling
holding glob from fall 

onto my chest would fall 
sneeze was bad enough 

bad, embarrassing me 
table of twenty 

nineteen were watching me 
left my hanky home 

host handed a cloth 
napkin shiny silk 

loosened by dreadful sneeze
mine was on the floor 

grateful and humbled big 
fiancé's rescue
    _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved
 - Prompt Word furnished by Kim, hosting dVerse Poetics today at 
 - The word from Kim's list was used as my title, filipendulous, which means "hanging by something thin." "
 - Click here to read other's efforts' the fruit from others using the words they have chosen. 
 - I'm also linked with Magaly at the Friday Writings #85 though I've declined her very impressive prompt material.  I've been busy doing church work (VBS cadre) and have a lot of catching up to do.  Most will choose an option she offers.  See the work for all who are writing for her this week at  

 - The first part of my poem reminds me of one time my sister coughed

sister's memories vary, she remembers best how I taught her to avoid smoking cigarettes. By some illicit means known only to me I had acquired a pack. We went down to the creek and 'smoked.' I think Lois smoked two.

She claims they made her sick. I only remember
a lot of coughing and meaningless words from her. To this day I can't recall how I ever convinced her to 'smoke' the second.

My other favorite memory is teaching her to drive Dad's pickup. I taught a lot of girls and women to drive, maybe even ten. My kids count for two of them. Lois was always a bad driver. Once on the way home from school she ran over a neighbor's mailbox. Another time later in life she ran right into someone and totaled out a very nice Oldsmobile she and hubby, Jim. W, owned. [purloined from a previous post of mine, at 
..

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 12, 2023 6:43:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Oh Jim! I was worried no one would choose that word and then you and Kim both had fun with it! I just wish I hadn’t read yours while eating my lunch!

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2023 1:42:00 PM, Anonymous Kim Whysall-Hammond said...

Ugh - I just ate! Great poem!

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2023 2:09:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

That sounds devastating... hope you were among the best of friends

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2023 8:27:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

I remember those days from elementary school! Carrying a handkerchief was a must! I got a cold or two every winter. My nose blow was gross and my teacher sent me out in the hall when I had to blow my nose. A great poem of gross memories, Jim. Love it.

 
At Thursday, July 13, 2023 10:07:00 AM, Anonymous ben Alexander said...

Oy VEY! Poor Jim!

TBH, I think we've all been there!

Much love,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com

 
At Thursday, July 13, 2023 11:26:00 PM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Oh dear!!! LOL.... misery indeed!

 
At Friday, July 14, 2023 1:14:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Wonderfully disgusting, lol.

 
At Friday, July 14, 2023 5:21:00 AM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Life's little gross-outs...if they're the most embarrassing things that happen to us, we're lucky.

 
At Friday, July 14, 2023 8:51:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

Filipendulous is an appetizing new word now in my vocabulary and, like some embarrassments in your life, makes me see how things suspended sometimes can be quite gross. :)

 
At Friday, July 14, 2023 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, my... Great word! I have visions now of little children who don't know how to blow their noses yet, and whose parents let those "lambs legs" (my mother called them that, is that what everyone calls them?) hanging down. Ick! Always want to wipe their faces!

 
At Friday, July 14, 2023 6:19:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

You weren't kidding, eeewww! Now I have the grosses of images in my head. Points for imagery.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2023 12:17:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Oh me, oh my!! I am giving thanks that I still have breakfast waiting for me. LOL.

 
At Sunday, July 16, 2023 8:31:00 AM, Blogger dsnake1 said...

Oh gross! I'm glad I read this after my dinner. :)
Anyway, great job with the prompt word.

 
At Sunday, July 16, 2023 7:24:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

How gross, Jim. Can't imagine the embarrassment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home