Friday, April 28, 2023

"Learning How to Study" prose for Friday Writings

[click on picture for larger viewing -- our grade school, I am the boy in back]

I learned the hard way how to pay attention when a speaker is trying to make a point that we should know and learn.

Pay attention to the teacher, read the book, take notes!! I grew up on a farm and didn't plan on going to college. Probably do something related to agriculture after high school graduation. 

That all changed when a brownish post card came in the mail. It was from the University of Nebraska saying that I had been awarded a Regents Scholarship for five eights of my tuition, $50 a semester for four years.  

The kicker was that I must keep at least a "C" average to keep it. My grades slipped down; I decided that I must drop out so that some day I could get back in school later if I decided to. 

Later I was drafted into the Army, in my third year I opted a forty-three-week school.  It was for the maintenance and operation of a NIKE Hercules Missile Control Systems.   Three different radars and a van full of computers and consoles. I graduated third in my class of forty-some GIs.  Two officers had better grades; maybe I wasn't really "Dumb".

Towards the beginning an instructor taught me how to study.  Start with taking notes of the material being presented and from the books, then study the notes by reducing them to fundamentals, like an expanded outline.  Review these new pages and study to master items that give trouble.  Finally review before exams. An added benefit of taking notes is using another sense, of seeing what was being said, to that of hearing. 

I realized that since I needn't study in high school to make good grades, but in college I surely did. Seven years later I went back to college and after twenty more years I finished school with three degrees. 

Then I began teaching college and stayed twenty-two years until I retired. In my classes' beginnings when I found students not taking notes I'd tell them this story I've just told you. 

Worked for me, pay attention to the teacher, read the book, take notes and study them. I'm still doing that, even for church sermons. Two senses.
_ _ _ 

 - Photo and Prose Writing  Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Magaly Guerrero for her Friday Writings #74 at  
 - Magaly's optional prompt is "all about the act of paying attention." in 369 or less words, I have exactly 367.  
.. 

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Friday, April 28, 2023 4:41:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Very good advice, Jim!

 
At Friday, April 28, 2023 8:11:00 AM, Blogger colleen said...

I often have to choose to pay attention and I love when the interest is already there and I can't NOT pay attention. Now as I'm getting older, I don't waste much time on what I'm not interested in. Attention is gold.

 
At Friday, April 28, 2023 9:05:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

It's amazing what we can do when we shift our expectations a bit!

 
At Friday, April 28, 2023 9:58:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Dr. Jim, this is a fascinating history of your educational endeavors ... fascinating! And a reminder of how to "study well."

 
At Friday, April 28, 2023 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

This is such a great lesson for anyone. Learning how to learn by focusing on key details with patience is critical and particularly difficult in our fast-paced skimming and/or sleeping through life existence.

 
At Friday, April 28, 2023 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I had a calculus teacher who used to say, "We learn math by doing. And this work for studying anything else too." He was so right. And so are you.

 
At Friday, April 28, 2023 3:07:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Good prose piece here!

 
At Friday, April 28, 2023 8:46:00 PM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Love that idea of two senses... we were taught that too..write to reinforce learning in class. Works very well, indeed.

 
At Monday, May 01, 2023 7:05:00 AM, Blogger dsnake1 said...

3 degrees, Jim, that's really something, and all started from an Army missile control operation stint. And you are able to pass on your valuable experiences to your students later on.
I was not good at paying attention in school yet still had acceptable grades.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home