Sunday, March 05, 2023

Quote Dickens? -- a Write for the Sunday Muse


"The first known accounts of spontaneous human combustion (SHC) date all the way back to 1641, the phenomenon gained wider exposure in the 19th century after popular author Charles Dickens used it to kill off one of the characters in his novel “Bleak House.” When critics accused Dickens of legitimizing something that didn’t exist, he pointed to research showing 30 historical cases."  (more


Does it Really Not Exist?  

Accounts in his newspaper 
were saying 
Folks burning right and left 
there on the plain 
Cities too, large and small, 
counting them up 
Three hundred seventy 
Those were the death tallies 
 many more had burns 

 Spontaneous Human Combustion 
 was blamed 

 Burns starting on the back 
 scorching behind 
 Not possible he thought 
 loosened his tie 
 Feeling hot behind twas 
 such a cold day 
 Scratched his itching back 
 nails came back scorched 
 Looked behind, jumped away 
 hell was burning 
 
He'd started the fire 
 now he believed 
_ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Carrie for the picture prompt, The Sunday Muse #249 
 - I have read the Dicken's book, "Bleak House", it is very long.  That is where I learned of Spontaneous Human Combustion. 
    ..

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sunday, March 05, 2023 5:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting topic on which to create this poem. Not sure it exists but, interesting to ponder. Truedessa

 
At Sunday, March 05, 2023 11:57:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

I had not heard the term before. But i have seen the phenomenon in those Netflix Chinese fantasies, i watch these days. I might have seen it too in my Star Wars viewings. Its interesting to me that you chose that as a theme for your poem.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Much 💜 love

 
At Monday, March 06, 2023 9:18:00 AM, Blogger WildChild47 said...

An interesting concept SHC - and I suppose, as the saying goes, "there are more things in heaven Horatio ...."

At any rate, I like the direction you've taken with your inspiration. The feeling of the piece has a "sci-fi" feel to it - one of those, hey, this might become "normal" as we continue walking into the future "realities"

 
At Monday, March 06, 2023 9:31:00 AM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

Definitely a subject that is mysterious and strange. I am not sure I believe it happens, but I did enjoy your poem Jim. Have a great week my friend!

 
At Tuesday, March 07, 2023 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

With everything going on these days .. war in Ukraine, China knocking on our door, border kidnappings, terror in the skies ... seems like you got the 'we are burning/hell' right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home