Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Epitaph* - a Senryū Spine Poem for the Friday Writings

"It was a sure thing"***
‘In the face of disaster…**
Sure he could not loose  


Walk Away 

Blue Moon Haven 
The house in the orchard 
Death of a traitor 

“I’m a writer,                  
but then nobody’s perfect.” ***
by Billy Wilder                

**     Prompt phrase by Rosemary Nissen-Wade  (1941[est] - ) (also here)    
***  The funny epitaph of filmmaker Billy Wilder (1906 – 2002) 
_ _ _    

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved  - Notes:
 - I'm linked with Rosemary for the Prompt phrase at the Friday Writings #66 at  
Notes: 
    a.   A spine poem is a Senryū where each line is a title of a book, as 
         written in it's spine 
    b.  I estimated Rosemary's birth year as she graduated from college 
         with a BA in 1962 
    c.  I checked out "The house in the orchard" as it claims to be 
        "the finest in gothic fiction" and I need examples and more 
         practice in writing gothic poems and fiction (Jim's 
.. 

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Friday, March 03, 2023 12:43:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

I don't know any of these books. Then again, I read mostly Dutch books. Love your poem 'walk away' My favourite line ' A blue moon heaven'

 
At Friday, March 03, 2023 1:56:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love your senryu, Jim!

And I am astounded – and thrilled – by one of the links you've provided to my name, the AustLit bio. Someone has been doing a lot of research on me! All the information there is true (including my actual dob, 1939) but I don't remember giving it to anyone. Wow! Thank you for providing that link, which I was entirely unaware of.

 
At Friday, March 03, 2023 5:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful thought out, FELT and sculpted piece Jim - Bravo! With Best Wishes Scott

 
At Friday, March 03, 2023 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

A spine poem ... how brilliant because it came out so intriguing!

 
At Friday, March 03, 2023 8:38:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Very evocative book titles! i'll have to google them.

 
At Friday, March 03, 2023 8:40:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Love your spine poem, Dr Jim. Takes lots of thinking and they fit in so nicely!

Hank

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2023 8:03:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Oooh! The senryu sounds like the summary of a mystery. I wonder who killed the traitor...

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2023 9:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to answer your question on my blog but my phone wouldn’t let me so … I’m swinging t by here. No, it wasn’t before my wedding. Ha. It’s just a story poem about women back in the Victorian age and how the one highlighted has way more on her mind for her life than marriage :).

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2023 9:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Irs Margaret Bednar

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2023 11:04:00 PM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Haven't read any of these books, but organizing spines into micropoems seems like a fun exercise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home